My Ocean In A Box :)

Sorry :lol: got some new corals so just waiting for them to settle in before doing pics :) will sort asap.

Right an update is long overdue so will do one now and if it gets to long will finish up tomorrow :)

So where to start :rolleyes: i ended up taking in a juvenile harlequin sweetlips off a friend who's tank had a leak and he had to break it down. The sweetlips is one of my favorite marine fish and really wanted to keep him :( but sadly they grow HUGE!! and i mean huge :lol: they can get to 3 feet in length :blink:. So i kept him in my tank for a few weeks and then decided to move him on. Thats when the fun started :lol: catching a speedy small fish in a fish tank full of rock and corals is no easy task!! i tried for hours each day with the net but he was just to quick and i was destroying my tank in the process :( then after about 3 days i caught the #29### :D i then did a celebration dance :thumbs: and whilst bending down to get a bag to bag him ready to go to LFS the net fell back in the tank with the fish still in it :eek: :( :angry: :unsure: :blink: :ninja: i was gutted to say the least and felt like slapping myself :lol: it then took me another two days to catch him by putting food in the net and letting it float out. This time he didnt escape :fun: i managed to bag him and took him to the LFS where he is happily living :) so here is some pics for you to see this stunning fish. Not many people have them so alot might have never seen one :)
SAM_0187.jpg
SAM_0188.jpg
SAM_0191.jpg
SAM_0193.jpg
SAM_0191.jpg
SAM_0195.jpg
SAM_0199.jpg
SAM_0202.jpg
SAM_0213.jpg
SAM_0219.jpg

So when i took him to the LFS they gave me a choice of a fish in return so i chose a red spot flymo blenny :D what a great fish and has a fantastic character :lol:
1112db0d.jpg
c8513018.jpg
07b6cf15.jpg
8299b44f.jpg
8719c5cf.jpg
805406ac.jpg
16791cb2.jpg
c4cc45c0.jpg

I have more to add but its getting late so will do the rest tomorrow and have lots more pics :) all comments welcome :good:

My lfs had one of these a while back juvis are the best looking fish in the hobby in my opinion but adults get duller and big as you said :crazy:

But that blenny is very nice :good:

Spot on Bae real stunner of a fish :) and i know Andy :lol: got more pictures to come tomorrow. Been waiting for the young regal to come out properly because it was very shy the first week or so and hiding alot. Is out most the day now following the Scopas round :lol:

More on the latest update :)

Around 2 weeks ago i added to my toys by getting an Eheim external filter along with a TMC V2 600 UV Sterilizer. It set me back over £350 but you cant beat Eheim and both are big enough (600lts) to go onto my upgrade later in the year when i move house. Plumbed it all in when i got home and i am amazed how quiet it is. Cannot hear a thing.

IMG_0409.jpg

Anyway :D enough of the boring toys B-) back to the interesting part :lol: fish and corals. Since getting the other half to agree to an upgrade once we move house i have decided to get one or two fish for my current tank with a view to my 5/6 footer tank later in the year. I went for a small Regal Tang (about the size of 2 50p pieces) It was being bullied by four others chasing it round the tank so took pity :lol: there was no fin damage etc from being harassed so took it home :) it took about a week to settle in and had a little tiff with my Scopas at first.. nothing serious just some backing up into each other but there fine now and the Regal follows the Scopas around :lol: goes eating seaweed just because the Scopas is :rolleyes:
5e181f58.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg

Gorg was sulking because the regal was messing round it :lol: so thats why it looks like a stick :)
82739450.jpg

The last few times i have been to the abyss i haven't been able to stop myself being drawn to the coral tanks and have purchased 2 toadstools :) one is a florescent green and the other is the normal pink colour.

The smaller of the green toadstools has sulked for about a week but seems to be shedding so hopefully it will perk up in the next few days.
3d42c0b5.jpg

This was about 5 minutes after adding to the tank :lol: Gordon the Goby couldnt wait to try it out for size :D
036ac556.jpg

I highly recommend these little rock gobys to anybody :lol: they are fantastic little characters :)

This is the second larger toadstool shortly after adding to the tank. slowly opened as the day went on.

e55df53b.jpg
09b4cc87.jpg

Guess who had to come and butt in :rolleyes:

4276298b.jpg

The coral didn't seem to like being sat on and closed up abit but it is happy with him now .. more the corals seems to have to adjust and get use to him being on them.
cfc8f9de.jpg

Think i have covered most stuff now and i am upto date :D so will leave you with some other snaps i have been taking on my phone on the spare of the moment :lol:
5b52df76.jpg

d63bf83b.jpg

The hammer has grown loads since adding to the tank and is splitting although it is hard to see from the pic
b4c34288.jpg

c0d15b18.jpg

ee35b935.jpg

f4d55871.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

IMG_0392-1.jpg

All comments welcome :good:

Lovely photos, just what I needed after a day at work :good:

So, getting back to the toy, how are you finding it and what you running in it?

Lovely photos, just what I needed after a day at work :good:

So, getting back to the toy, how are you finding it and what you running in it?

Nice to see somebody reply after spending a week doing my update :lol:

I'm well chuffed with it compared to my other external Fluval filter i had which leaked and was much louder. Water is much clearer and could be a coincidence but fish and corals seems to be more active. I am running the Eheim substrate pro and biomech along with some live rock rubble. Heard and read some good things about the Eheim substrate pro and biomech so willing to give them ago for a while and see how they go. Apparently they very good at absorbing the bad stuff so will wait and see.

I feel more at ease having the external on now incase something bad happens in the tank like live rock releasing something back into the water and having a nitrate spike or something. At least i have something to help if it was to happen.

Lovely pictures, and i am liking the new name. It really is beginning to look like a natural reef.
Great corals and i love the new blenny. Very cute.

Lovely pictures, and i am liking the new name. It really is beginning to look like a natural reef.
Great corals and i love the new blenny. Very cute.

Thanks :D want alot more coral yet before i can call it a reef :lol: but looking better as the weeks go on :)

I saw a harlequin sweetlips in my LFS yesterday beautiful fish shame they get too big for your tank.

That's one epic update but defiantly a good one and worth it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back