My New Viaaqua 620

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:good: Hey guys,

Well it happened! After having my other tank for a year I couldnt stop myself any longer, I spotted this tank at work a week ago and knew it had to be mine! :lol:

Since it was going to be located where my smaller tank was, I had to do a straight swap, since I'm running a Prime 10 it was all fairly easy :)

anyway, check out the pics...

in position and ready to go!
empty620.jpg

All cloudy and horrid late last night,
620.jpg

and all cleared up and looking pretty good already (if a bit empty!) this morning :D

6208-11-06.jpg

Thanks for looking B)
Lotte***

lush lush.. what have you got in there? i can see a few neons and some corys.. anything else? im liking the horse shoe thing..

I presume "horseshoe thing" must be the curly stick with java moss on it??? :D

I currently have;

2x Honey Gourami,
3x Cory. Trilineatus,
3x Cardinal Tetra (lost some over summer and was waiting for this upgrade to get some new pals, same goes for the other small tetra numbers ;)
3x Flame Tetra,
6x "Kitty" Tetra, (which are more likely Hyphessobrycon elachys)

:hyper:

Put my new plants in, hopefully they'll spread out nicely and fill in all those nasty gaps. I'm thinking of something else for the background and some crypts, glosso and riccia for the front :)

plats6.jpg

I have;
Crinum thaianum,
Ludwigia glandulosa,
Echinodorus "Rubin",
Eusteralis stellata,
Rotala rotundifolia,
Sagittaria sp.,
Vallisneria nana,
Nymphea maculata,
Vesicularia dubyana,
Microsorum pteropus.

Thanks for looking :)
Lotte***

Tank looks really nice. I also like the horseshoe thing. Java fern grows via a rhyzome, which if submerged in the substrate, can rot, killing the plant. Though I have seen java fern submerged in a planted tank (only the roots were submerged, the rhyzome was above the substrate), it is best to anchor java fern to wood or rock, where the rhyzome can be exposed to the water column.

Sorry to be such a stickler. Otherwise, you have the beginnings of a lovely planted tank. What are your specs (lighting, substrate, CO2, etc)?

llj :)

Hiya llj, thanks for your comments :good:

As for the Java fern, it was stuck in the substrate just for the time being while I waited till I went to work this weekend and had a chance to pick up some slate to put it on :D But no worries ;)

I'm fairly new to any real planted affair so you'll have to bare with me! :fun: I've got a laterite layer in my substrate, 40W of lighting with reflectors (bit on the low end for a ~22UKgal I know... trying to think of a way I can remedy this) and C02 injection manually from canisters. I've got liquid ferts for in a week or two once the plants have settled :good:

Since the last pic then, I've had a small rearrangement to my final layout (I think!) with only a spot of riccia and glosso in the post to be added eventually.

The new plants to go with the previous list are;
Echinodorus tenellus,
Aponogeton crispus,
Cryptocryne sp (x2),
and I dont know what the small round leaved stem plant on the back left side is, I thought possibly Micranthemum umbrosum? at a wild guess, I'm no good at IDing plants sadly :)

anyway here's what it looks like now...
12-11-06.jpg

I dont know how to deal with the godawful heater situation, I thought perhaps one of those black guards and hiding it behind something maybe???
Thanks for looking :good: :D
Lotte***

Thanks guys :good:

The tank itself is 24"l x 17.5"h x 15.5"w. Some of the fish will be going when I can catch them! :rolleyes: I just cant wait to get my Riccia and Glosso! ARG :D

Try putting the heater at the back behind the plants other than the heater it looks good it will look realy good when it has grown abit more

40W of lighting with reflectors (bit on the low end for a ~22UKgal I know... trying to think of a way I can remedy this)

Why remedy this? Even if you recalculate and use US gallons, you'll still over 1.5WPG, which isn't too bad, especially if you want a low-maintenance system. I don't know how to do the exact math. If calculated your tank now, you would have like 1.8WPG, but I know that US and UK gallons are different. But you are talking Riccia and glosso, so to get the nice carpeting effect, you may have to upgrade your lighting. If you abandon Riccia and Glosso, and embrace moss, HC, HM, and Marsilea quadrifolia, you won't have to upgrade your lighting. Unless I have mistaken your lighting or something.

llj :)

Hiya llj,

It works out to 1.8W per UK gallon, I'd rather it was just above 2. But the glosso and riccia has arrived now anyway, currently floating in plastic trays at the surface :good: I'll have to just see how it goes eh! :)

Perhaps I should have done a diary in the planted section, but I didnt think I was good enough for it lol :rolleyes: :lol:
Lotte***

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back