My New Oddball

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
okay well a few days ago i bought an african butterfly fish because i thought they looked cool but... are they really this boring??

he is a darkish brown and gained his "sheen" once he settled in.

i didn't think he was eating at first and i thought he wasn't being nourished properly and that was the reason he wasn't putting much effort into moving.
the first night he spent layin on top of my filter and out of the way of the current. i suppose it was much easier for the poor fish.

anyway, he must be fine because a few moments ago i saw him eating.
at the moment he's only eating flakes but i'm sure he'll move on to bloodworms once he's used to the other fish at feeding time.
is there any other food i can give him that he won't have to compete for?

what plants do these guys like? i've heard they prefer floating plants which is understandable.

thanks

pinkdolphin...

The basic answer to your first question is...Yes...African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi) are 'boring' if what you were looking for is a fish that swims around actively. They prefer to hang around the edges of floating plants (I use Water Sprite in my tanks with P. buchholzi) but still need open swimming room at the water's surface where they can find food. They confine their activity to brief bursts of speed when food is around but otherwise tend to find a secure place and sit there most of the time.

As for feeding, you've already likely noticed that the African Butterfly will not often go down after food that sinks past its nose. They are designed for surface feeding so the food that you offer them needs to float for a while. I've had success with various freeze-dried foods that will float until they have absorbed enough water to sink. Small crickets and the occasional swatted fly are welcomed treats for these fish. I've also used 'wingless' fruit flies as food for smaller P. buchholzi.

Again, if you were looking for an active fish then P. buchholzi was not your best choice. However, if you were looking for an unusual fish with a 'primitive' appearance then you've got the right fish with the African Butterfly Fish.

-Joe

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back