My New Blue Shark/whale Catfish Trio. Cetopsis Coeculiens

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dominus_XVIII

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the little buggers, floating their bag. I sold my old adult group on the local classifieds in my area and used the money to get these new babies. Really hard to take pics of these guys, as they are extremely fast. Had a harder time trying to get clear pics of these guys than any of my piranhas that I've owned in the past years. Once again I apologize for the blurry pics.

IMAG1072_zps38702d0d.jpg

IMAG1063_zps18d929e1.jpg

IMAG1062_zpsa060d987.jpg

IMAG1071_zps89b697d4.jpg

IMAG1065_zps445526c8.jpg

IMAG1067_zps20587b78.jpg

IMAG1068_zps3fdd41d5.jpg

IMAG1069_zps362a73f9.jpg

I'll get more pics after I have accimilated them to their new home.

how large is the tank they are going in?  Most people keep one in a 100g or larger just because of its activity and will-eat-anything attitude

phantomlink said:
how large is the tank they are going in?  Most people keep one in a 100g or larger just because of its activity and will-eat-anything attitude
They're still babies, at 2.25", I currently have them in a 50 gallon. Upgrading as they grow, no other planned inhabitants. Going to keep their tank strickly a species tank for them.

Probably one of the ugliest fish in existence! Defiantly put some photos up when they're settled!

Probably one of the ugliest fish in existence! Defiantly put some photos up when they're settled!

It's not all about looks, it's what's inside that counts...in this case shredded fish and shrimp pellets LOL. I'll definitely post more pics as well as a vid or two of them feeding.

TooManyChoices said:
They're still incredibly active fish and in the wild they will bite their way into larger fish, then eat them from the inside out :D

If one of my 75 gallons somehow becomes empty and I remember about these guys in the future, I'll look into getting one or two

Awesome fish. I had a couple but they died with in a few weeks but where great while I had them. There is an episode of River Monsters on them. They are called the candiru catfish.

Yeah, these cats not your run of the mill cats. Stores don't usually sell these guys, or other candiru as they are the quad treat in the predatory/monster fish category. Not only are these cats aggressive, but they're also territorial, cannabalistic and parasitic.
These guys are actually banned in a few places in the US for obvious reasons.

I Just realized your from Mississauga, did the Big Als custom order the fish for you or did you actually see them have some in stock?  I've only been to the one in Barrie and Newmarket and never seen them sell "monster" fish

phantomlink said:
I Just realized your from Mississauga, did the Big Als custom order the fish for you or did you actually see them have some in stock?  I've only been to the one in Barrie and Newmarket and never seen them sell "monster" fish
That had them in stock, Mississauga BigAl's is pretty well known for having some rare and exotic monster and predatory fish. They get anything from Asian arowanas, 10"+ black piranhas, giant Halfmoon plakat bettas, Mbu and fahaka puffers and a assortment of odd ball fish.
I think it's because of diversity of fish keepers here in Mississauga, that BigAl's Mississauga has such a wide range of exotic fish due to the demand and requests from their customers. A lot of specialize enthusiast will also drop some of their rare fish to BigAl's for larger tank setups and equipment.
There's also the fact that BigAl's is surrounded and competes with multiple other exotic fish suppiers, such as; Dragon Aquarium (who specialize in a large number of piranha species and Asian aros) and Aquatic Kingdom (Who are great if you want really nice cichlids, show quality exotic guppies, tanks and equipment and rare plecos). Both of which are located within the same plaza as them.

Most reactions

trending

Back