My new betta and a question on behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lauren Olivia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! This is my new betta, he currently has no name (suggestions welcome). He was quite active in the tiny tank at the store however he could see another male betta next to his tank. He was also very active in the bag. But now heā€™s in my tank, heā€™s just gone between laying down in three spots at the back of the tank. Iā€™ve had bettas before but theyā€™ve not done this, but I know all personalities are different. Is this okay? Will it improve?
thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• C7970735-FE31-4A49-8580-ACD6CCE7A376.jpeg
    C7970735-FE31-4A49-8580-ACD6CCE7A376.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 120
How long has he been in the tank now? It's not unusual for any fish to be a bit stressed and withdrawn when they go through the stress of moving from one tank to another, adjusting to new territory and perhaps different water parameters. If he still seems off after 2-3 days, I might be more concerned. @EllRog ? You know a lot more about bettas than me

Heā€™s been in for eight hours now. He was fully acclimated and I checked the temp inside and outside the bag. At the minute he seems comfortable just laying there and seems to have established a few spots where he likes to rest. Iā€™ve left the light off and Iā€™ll see how he is in the morning, thanks everyone :)

Heā€™s been in for eight hours now. He was fully acclimated and I checked the temp inside and outside the bag. At the minute he seems comfortable just laying there and seems to have established a few spots where he likes to rest. Iā€™ve left the light off and Iā€™ll see how he is in the morning, thanks everyone :)
Then I would say he's just adjusting to new home :)

Thank you everyone! He seems to have found a few more spots he likes to lay down in, I was quite worried for 5 mins when I thought heā€™d completely disappeared but then I saw a bit of his fin flap from behind the heater. At the moment I can just see his grumpy face poking out from between two rocks he did come across the snail too, but didnā€™t take much interest in it. Should I try feeding him this morning?

Thank you everyone! He seems to have found a few more spots he likes to lay down in, I was quite worried for 5 mins when I thought heā€™d completely disappeared but then I saw a bit of his fin flap from behind the heater. At the moment I can just see his grumpy face poking out from between two rocks he did come across the snail too, but didnā€™t take much interest in it. Should I try feeding him this morning?
Definitely worth a try! Just drop a little in, in case he doesn't go for it, but you can add a tad more if he does start eating :) Fish adapt differently, I've had some fish that would eat within half an hour of being in a new tank, but it's also not uncommon for a fish to take a few days to a week before they'll accept food. Don't panic if he's not hungry yet, but hopefully he'll eat something so you feel reassured that he won't go hungry. Let us know! :)

Give him a few hours before feeding him, does your tank have a background, plenty of hiding places and plants? Sounds like he's still just settling in. Probably had quite a stressful time before you brought him home and just needs some time to recover from it. Alot of the time Betta's are either kept in cups or in tanks with other fish which stresses them out. I'm sure he'll be alright in time, he's a lovely looking lad

Just had the fright of my life! He managed to get behind my corner filter! I have now blocked it up with filter floss after I got him out. He seems more active now. Didnā€™t accept food. I have a black background and lots of plants, which he seems to be exploring a little more now. When I bought him he could see another Male betta so that couldā€™ve stressed him out a bit. Yeah bettas Iā€™ve had in the past were exploring straight away and eating so I wanted to make sure itā€™s all ok. Hopefully he wonā€™t be able to get behind the filter again. Thank you everyone, and youā€™re right, heā€™s adorable :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back