My Nerites

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just thought i would post a few pics of my Nerites.
Ive had them a while now, I bought these to replace my old ones. They seem to be doing great. Really helped with the diatom problem i had after replacing my sand

Attachments

• 20210820_180611.jpg
    20210820_180611.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210620_112209.jpg
    20210620_112209.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211002_191657.jpg
    20211002_191657.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 44
After being brought up to be quite anti-snail, I'm now an advocate of the nerite snail.
My only and continued concern is, unlike almost every other snail I've come across, their apparent total inability to right themselves.
After initially scouring the tank for them, finding one upside down, having fallen off something and then having to set it upright, I increased the planting.
This means that, apart from one small area of the tank near the front, there'll always be some vegetation around, to facilitate self-righting.

DSCN3733.JPG
DSCN3851.JPG

Same here Bruce, I was very anti snail but a few years ago i decided to try a Nerite, Then two, Then three 😄.
Now i highly recommend them for algae problems & diatoms. Plus they look great & add something else to look at in the tank

I did have some nerite eggs laid onto the front of the aquarium glass, which were quite unsightly, but nowhere near as hard to remove as I'd been led to believe. ;)

Removing the eggs from glass, the filter casing, the heater or rocks is quite easy. It's removing them from wood without taking a lot of wood off as well that's trickier.

But having said that, if you are fairly short with short arms, it is tricky reaching the eggs on the back wall of the tank so they have to stay there.

My original Nerites must of been all Female as the eggs were everywhere.
There are still a few remains on the Bogwood after not being able to remove them fully without damaging it. Lucky for me with my latest Nerites, Ive not spotted even one egg yet

I’ve been lucky, I’ve had three nerites and no eggs yet, although I think I have had at least one female ( I had to remove the two I had at the time into a small container to be on the safe side with some medication. Came down the next morning to find my black racer on top of the tiger XD)

Some (or all for I know) land snails are hermaphrodites and somehow decide which animal uses which parts during mating. I saw my nerites mate once, was very obvious which was the male.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back