My Nerite Snail Keeps Burrowing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nLinked

Reaction score
I've had 2 zebra nerite snails for about 4 months.
I haven't changed anything much in my tank recently, but now one of them (Snail A) keeps going into the sand, literally forcing itself to burrow.
The other one (Snail B) doesn't and keeps eating algae from the glass. And when this other one (Snail B) does go on the sand, it just glides along and goes back onto the glass later.

I don't know why Snail A keeps going into the sand as if to hibernate. Only the top of its shell becomes visible.
Plenty of food and algae in the tank.
24C as always.
Sand is just 1 cm very light and soft limpopo sand.
There are only young red cherry shrimp in the tank, no fish or nothing else.

This isn't that snail's usual behaviour, only started 2 days ago.
Looks healthy but no matter how many times I put it on the glass, it goes back right into the sand and stops.

Shall I let it be there or is something wrong?

Any chance of a little more information.

Tank size?

Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite and ph, nitrates too if you have that test.

Also, the shrimp behaviour, are they normal behaviour, or hiding a lot or even running around the tank?

If every thing is normal, sometimes snails are inactive for quite a while, days sometimes, then suddenly will bounce back and do their thing, happens to my snails too sometimes, buries itself into substrate and not see them for ages, despite water parameters being good and no issues. One of those mysteries.

No real input here but my snail too went inactive for a few days. Completely freaked me out because he was on the glass in practically the exact same spot for about three days. Usually he's very active and just bops all around the tank. After that third day he went right back to normal and I have no idea what his deal was. *shrug* He's all good now though.

Ch4rlie said:
Any chance of a little more information.

Tank size?

Water parameters, ammonia, nitrite and ph, nitrates too if you have that test.

Also, the shrimp behaviour, are they normal behaviour, or hiding a lot or even running around the tank?

If every thing is normal, sometimes snails are inactive for quite a while, days sometimes, then suddenly will bounce back and do their thing, happens to my snails too sometimes, buries itself into substrate and not see them for ages, despite water parameters being good and no issues. One of those mysteries.
Thanks for the replies.
Tank is 80L. Don't have a test kit unfortunately, temp is 25C as always. I did do a recent water change (nothing different from the usual). Added normal amount of dechlorinator.
The shrimp behaviour is absolutely normal, feeding constantly, climbing around wood, etc.

I left the snail burrowed all day today. It did actually move about within 1 square inch of itself still burrowed. Just in the evening I took it out of the sand (which is only a thin soft layer) and put it near the glass. Will find out tomorrow morning whether it's decided to climb the glass again.

The other snail is all over the glass eating away at algae non-stop.

Maybe this one will just bounce back after a break as you say....

GuppyGirl20 said:
No real input here but my snail too went inactive for a few days. Completely freaked me out because he was on the glass in practically the exact same spot for about three days. Usually he's very active and just bops all around the tank. After that third day he went right back to normal and I have no idea what his deal was. *shrug* He's all good now though.
Good to know, I'll give it some more time then, maybe just having a random 'moment'.

A few days later and he's all over the tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back