My low-tech planted tanks [8 & 10gal]

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Abaddon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been on here a while, so I thought I'd finally post a proper thread with pictures of my planted betta tanks :). I don't have CO2, all I do is add liquid fertilizer (usually either micros or all-in-one) on a daily basis. I change about a quarter to one-third of the water every week, and try to siphon as much debris as I can off the bottom (NOT easy with so much plant cover, lol XD). Anyway, all the plants seem to be doing well (touch wood), I only have a few spots of algae here and there - mostly directly under the lamps. My pennywort tends to be a bit moody, but the shade seems to be serving it well & it looks greener than it used to before I added the floating plants. The 10gal houses a giant hmpk betta (Phoenix) and a bunch of shrimp and snails, the 8gal is home to a slightly battered adopted halfmoon by the name of Dagon, whom I think I already introduced in one of my earlier posts, and the obligatory entourage of shrimp and snails XD. Both tanks are several years old and very stable (the 10gal recently survived a filter malfunction with no issues). The fish are fed a mix of flake food, pellets, freeze-dried daphnia and frozen brine shrimp, and the shrimp & snails subsist mostly on things they find in the tank (decaying plants, uneaten fish food etc.), with occasional supplementation in the form of veggies, nettle leaves, catappa leaves etc. I keep the temperature at around 78.5, last I checked the ammonia & nitrites were 0, pH was somewhere between 7.5 and 8, and the nitrates were between 2-5ppm.
Enjoy :)
IMG_20210518_021209.jpg
IMG_20210504_164829.jpg
IMG_20210518_021326.jpg
IMG_20210515_012934.jpg
IMG_20210518_040203.jpg

What type of water filter do you use ?
I have small internal filters in both tanks (Aquael Pat Mini & Fan Mini Plus). They do a pretty good job, aside from the spectacular break down a few weeks ago. Never seen anything like it, the filter got so overheated it raised the water temperature by 35 degrees F and smoke started coming out of it?. I still don't know what happened, but it freaked the hell out of me. The other model has been working fine for years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back