My Journal - 400L Juwel Rio Marine Conversion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mark1979

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey Girls/Guys

Thought i would create a proper journal,now that im almost at a stage of adding the salty H2O to my tank :hyper:

This is the Equipment i have been buying over the last few months.

juwel rio 400 - minus the internal filter
deltec mce600 skimmer
2 x koralia magnum 6 powerheads
2 x 300w rena smart heaters
and extra t5 hi lite bar,with 3 piece flap set,so now 4 t5's (no tubes as of yet)
deltec fr509 phos reactor
50kg of d&d h2ocean salt
d&d refractometer
osmotics 4 stage ro unit 36gpd with pressure valve
mag float glass cleaner
salifert ph,nitrate,nitrite,ammonia and hardness test kits
i have 70kg of fiji rock,which is at TAC in there full flow vat as i type this
25kg of substrate not sure what type,lol
tank background blue vinyl (dont like painted tanks)

6 x 25ltr jerry cans (i no i dont need them all,lol)
small powehead for mixing
spare heater to heat the mixing water
gravel syphon

This cover virtualy everything i have at present.

The tanks stand is being modded with a 3ft sump,with a tunze overflow,all pumps and pipe work,all of this is being done by TAC.

The plan on stocking is: ( probaly will change,lol)

CUC

2 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
2 hermits
1 sandsifting star

FISH

2 x watchem goby's
6-8 x vanderbilt chromis
1 x flame angel
1 x copperband
maybe some bangaai cardinals and pajama cardinals

I understand that the angel and copperband will not be going until at least next febuary of so, plenty of time for the tank to get super stable

Im am still researching corals etc etc, i no with my T5's im pretty limited to what i can have. So plenty of questions from me about that very soon,lol

I would have more CUC IMO. Everything else seems fine. I will be following this non stop.

YF

I would say definatly some snaills. Nass, etc. In a 400l tank, I would have about 10 hermits?
I would also keep your sump empty, so you can put baddies, and bad fish in it.
Once your main tank has set up you could possibly add somthing to it.

YF

Two hermits are fine as there will not be that much food for them yet, you can add more as you go. YF is correct about the snails, you will need some Nass or ceriths and some turbos. Nass/ceriths turn over the sand, get about ten of those to start and just get a couple of turbos, again, you can add to that later. Wait a while before getting your sand sifting star, you don't want him to starve.

Loving the journel already :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

just a little update

not having a 3ft sump now,im having 2 sumps in either side of my juwel cabinet.

both will be connected to each through the centre section

the 1st sump will house my skimmer and phos reactor,and a small pre filter, the water will then run into the 2nd sump which will be home to a DSB and the return pump. there will also be a energy saving light bulb in there to help the beneficial algea grow

i also have a full moonlight kit now.

i also puchased 5ft of fablon in a real nice blue to stick on the back of the tank

just a warning about DSBs.

Alot of people utilise them but don't get the best out of them and or have problems with them.

many people advocate the use of a removable DSB, as after a time they can die off and cause massive problems.

the site below is excellent info on DSBs and how they should be used:

[URL="http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm"]http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm[/URL]

This one below is an interesting way of having a DSB within a sump:

[URL="http://www.reef-eden.net/diy_4.htm"]http://www.reef-eden.net/diy_4.htm[/URL]

i was gonna do something similar but the idiots who built my sump made it too large!
so had to scrap the idea of a DSB.
Instead i've got 1.5" sand bed in the bottom with a few bits of live rock and then macro algae over the top.

thanks for that info

i will check them out now

is there any alternatives to a DSB?

to be honest i find the export of nutrients through the removal of algae the best.

i've got a few different types in my sump and remove around 1kg of algae every 4-6 weeks.

all my stats are 0.

I also run a cryptic zone which is an unlit area containing live rock. Within this area i get a huge amount of sponges growing which filter the water of nutrients and i beleive this also helps.

do you chuck this algea away?

i could do with some when my tanks going,lol

yeah most do, or its a good fertiliser to put onto your garden.
The past couple of times, i've sold it on here for £2 per portion. Price covers padded envelope and postage.

if you want some let me know. i should be doing another crop in around 2 weeks time.
Bollands and Scott133 are currently on the list for next time but i can add you if you want.

Rob

i do wont some yes,but can i have some at a later date as my tank isnt running yet,lol

UPDATE:

added a blue fablon backing to my tank today,looks amazing.

took both juwel t5 bars,added 2 marine white and 2 blues,also fitted reflectors!!

installed a moonlight set to my middle flap

also now have about 130kg of Live rock,lol (waaaaay to much,but when you get offered 60kg for £100 you gotta take it,even more so when it has some great freebies with it.

im going to use all the bits i like them flog the rest off.

i also aquired 2 x sunsun powerheads for free,to be honest they are realy good,they are in my vats now,powering my flow

any coments welcome,good or bad,lol

P1000685.jpg

P1000691.jpg

P1000689.jpg

P1000688.jpg

P1000686.jpg

Looking good Mark :good:

Will you do me a favour, when you fit the two lighting bars on the tank, will you take a picture for me please :good:

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back