My Humble 20 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FRANKLIN BLEVINS

Reaction score
As you can see the Platy's have been very procreative. Those represent two batches and two generations, the 1st generation have already went to the happy fish food land. He hides in the ship wreck but my algae sucker fish is about 5 inches long now, he has a smaller buddy I bought for him, the Neon Tetras and the one yellow Glow Tetris are fairly hardy fish and there is one Cory Catfish in there somewhere and apparently, a bunch of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They were stow away snails that hitched a ride on a crayfish...I think.

A piece of advice for those that have filters that can easily be pulled up and laid on the top. Pull the filter when feeding and then when they finish put the filter back in. I had cloudy water issues for years, including past attempts at aquariums, I sucked at keeping my water clear. Since I started pulling the filter when feeding, years of crystal clear water. That of course has backfired on me at least once because a clean tank can be an easily forgotten tank and that cost me a Cory and about 6 Platy's, not from a lack of feeding, it's twice a day faithfully, but rather I lapsed on the water change out. The hint that there was a problem even with the clear water was that the filters were clogging up way faster and of course the fish were a DEAD giveaway.

OK, rambling over. Any advice or even some judgmentally bony finger pointing on my horrid tank habits?, lord knows I need it...bring it on. Since I came back to post my snail question on another thread, I think I will hang out and check out what you guys/gals have for set ups. Peace and coffee.

Attachments

• 20201217_131636.jpg
    20201217_131636.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 982
I like the cruiser, do you run the volcano as an aerator? I bought two platys and the next day I had fry in my 29 gallon QT tank which became my platy fry tank, After they grew enough I gave all but 5 away. I had planed on changing the tank over to soft water tank. Thank you for your service. :thanks:

Attachments

• GEDC1478.JPG
    GEDC1478.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 59
Thank you. I was an Army Dog, but my youngest is a Marine so of course I gotta be all motto about it. Yes, I put a pretty good sized aerator through the Volcano, it has so much stuff growing on it, it almost has it's own tropical ecosystem, I did recent near full change out and vacuumed the gravel, but kept everything else well populated with algae...gotta take care of my Trumpets and big sucker fish.

Fish are awesome and the ship is pretty cool but multi coloured gravel is a pet peeve of mine.

Fish are awesome and the ship is pretty cool but multi coloured gravel is a pet peeve of mine.
Can't say I blame you for your opinions on the colored gravel. It does kind of look....unnatural, over time it is being reduced through adding other stuff and losing a little bit every time I clean, apparently I don't do a full clean often enough, cause that is still a lot of colored gravel. Perhaps on my next big clean, I will get rid of the fake stuff, but do you know how hard it is to put a real sunken ship into a 20 gallon tank? Rick Moranis is going to have to help me with that one. Peace, cheers and Happy New Years. BTW...COVID19 is in da house. DIL tested positive. Good times.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back