My Guppy Laid Eggs

mariesummers

Reaction score
So my hugely pregnant guppy has been in her baby saver for a few days now and just dropped about a dozen eggs. She is still fat and her gravid spot really hasn't gotten much smaller/lighter. These eggs couldn't possibly belong to anyone else. (Yes I know guppies don't lay eggs). They aren't bubbles either (I touched one to make sure). She's alone and I keep a no-snail tank. I'm not sure whether to wait and see if she has any live babies or if this miscarriage is it. Is it possible to miscarry eggs and go on to deliver live babies in the same "batch?"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10230887&l=6425b9ae28&id=551405268

If she laid eggs, she's not a guppy. Or these are yet unformed fry. Can you please take a photo and post it here?

One problem is putting your pregnant guppy in one of those "baby savers". It causes a lot of stress to move her into such a confined space away from her home. Maybe reconsider that the next time?

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

:blink:

Are there any snails in your tank? Pets or pests? They might have got in and laid eggs? Bit random but... less random than a guppy laying eggs.

If she laid eggs, she's not a guppy. Or these are yet unformed fry. Can you please take a photo and post it here?

One problem is putting your pregnant guppy in one of those "baby savers". It causes a lot of stress to move her into such a confined space away from her home. Maybe reconsider that the next time?

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

She is a guppy, I know that these would be unformed fry (all babies come from eggs at one point in their development whether they are born as live fry or not)...I was once an egg. So I've attempted to attach a photo. Here goes! Thanks for the welcome! DSCN1320 (640x480).jpg

:blink:

Are there any snails in your tank? Pets or pests? They might have got in and laid eggs? Bit random but... less random than a guppy laying eggs.

I did watch her "deliver" these "unformed fry/eggs" and I've been extremely careful to prevent snails...not a single one in the tank for sure.

they dont look like eggs to me to be honest. cant offer much advice but even if it were possible for a guppy to drop eggs they are likely not viable.
sorry cant help more
cheers

These are aborted eggs that never formed. Could be due to the fish being stressed, i've had the same before. Livebearers don't lay hatchable eggs.

She never produced any fry from the same batch either, so i'd say don't expect any. But that's only from my experience.

These are aborted eggs that never formed. Could be due to the fish being stressed, i've had the same before. Livebearers don't lay hatchable eggs.

She never produced any fry from the same batch either, so i'd say don't expect any. But that's only from my experience.

Thank you! The only reply that answered my question. Yes she hasn't had any more births since the egg drop...so I assumed she was done and released her back to her tank.

So my hugely pregnant guppy has been in her baby saver for a few days now and just dropped about a dozen eggs. She is still fat and her gravid spot really hasn't gotten much smaller/lighter. These eggs couldn't possibly belong to anyone else. (Yes I know guppies don't lay eggs). They aren't bubbles either (I touched one to make sure). She's alone and I keep a no-snail tank. I'm not sure whether to wait and see if she has any live babies or if this miscarriage is it. Is it possible to miscarry eggs and go on to deliver live babies in the same "batch?"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10230887&l=6425b9ae28&id=551405268
Mine too just did same. Got good video of eggs with movement what looks like eyes inside them and she had 2 live fry born just moments prior. Weird isn't it. Here link to eggs. Look closely you will see the movement. Don't mind green zucchini pieces. Fed bristle nose the night prior before cleaning day. Lol. https://www.facebook.com/100000182998180/posts/3092271357455600/

Mine did the same only prior she delivered 2 full grown fry. If you look closely at video eggs move like heartbeats and some look like eyes trying to move. Pls don't mind zucchini shavings. Fed bristle nose prior to cleaning day and snagged some in the net. https://www.facebook.com/100000182998180/posts/3092271357455600/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back