My Galaxy Rasboras Breeding Project/journal

XFiSh_CichildX

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hello so a few weeks ago i started doing alot of research on the galaxy rasboras as my local shrimp breeder had them in one of his tanks and i remember he was trying to breed them. one night i was emailing him to find out a bit more about this fish but all he could tell me when he was breeding the parents eat the eggs quickly but that wasnt enough for me so i spent a few nights on the internet looking ab up about them and fell in love with them!!! but i knew from people that have them said they are hard to get and i know i havnt seen them in any lfs before :( so before i went home from being out at halfords we called in and i couldn't believe it :hyper: they where in the first tank i spotted !! only four of the little fish tho but thats better than none so i i got all four ! was so excited for these guys but i had to wait for my 60L that i was buying of a mate for a 10er ! (what a steal)so i have to put these guys in my 110L shrimp tank until this saturday when i will be setting up the new tank just for them i also rang a fishop about 30min drive away from me and they have 30-40 of them in :shout: so on saturday/sunday im going up to get some more !! well that was my story of how this all came along now this is my wee project ! always wanted to do one so excited ha but here it goes :

this is my 60L the adults will be going into:
DSCN1014.jpg

i wanted to see the colours abit better in this tank than i can see when there in my tank with sand so i went with black gravel and if they have eggs in this tank (which i dont plan on) they will be easily spotted hopefully if not eaten
DSCN1015.jpg

was thinking about abit of wood in the middle for a center piece with alot of live plants around the tank maybe this wood ??
DSCN1016.jpg

this is all i got so far until tomorrow and all this above has cost me Ā£25 (not including the fish) and i also have a fluval u2 which i will be using which has been running in another tank for a few months :) hope your enjoying so far :) anything you think i should change just let me no thanks

I've been reading up on them too.
I've read in a breeding tank to put some canvas mesh on top of the substrate to let the eggs fall through so the adults can't eat them.
Also you can use spawning mops in the main tank, dark coloured ones so you can spot any eggs easily, then transfer the whole mop to the fry tank

I've been reading up on them too.
I've read in a breeding tank to put some canvas mesh on top of the substrate to let the eggs fall through so the adults can't eat them.
Also you can use spawning mops in the main tank, dark coloured ones so you can spot any eggs easily, then transfer the whole mop to the fry tank

i have another 20l tank i was going to use for say a male and female leave them there for about a week then put them back in the main tank and the fry in the 110l for the shrimp then repeat with a different pair ?

I think a couple of females to 1 male is recommended to encourage spawning

I think a couple of females to 1 male is recommended to encourage spawning

yea and if there was more females to males the females are more likely to go off and eat the eggs when finished spawning but the males are more likely to start dancing (fighting) with each other :)

I'm just going to leave mine as they are & see what happens.
Think I have 3 males & at least 7 females, they don't keep still long enough to be sure

I'm just going to leave mine as they are & see what happens.
Think I have 3 males & at least 7 females, they don't keep still long enough to be sure

Thats why i was tying to sex them in the bag ha :) well good luck

UPDATE:

cleaned my gravel and put it in the tank i quite like it :) and my spawning mops arrived :nod:

heres the tank with the gravel in it
DSCN1017.jpg

heres my new spawning mops
DSCN1019.jpg

well i went to a fish shop about 30min away from me to trade them some bristlenose for the galaxy rasboras and my dad but me about 6 to so i came home with ten of them :) so when i was filling the 60L up with mature water and filter it went from
DSCN1020.jpg

to this
DSCN1024.jpg

yes it leaked on me i went down staires to grab a heater and i came back up and its was flowing out of the bottom i felt like crying because i had 10 galaxy rasboras sitting in a bag so i had to set up a wee tank for them and i had a spare mini wee filter so i grabbed some mature filter wool and stuck it in so now i have to wait 5 days for the tank to be ready again ahhhh

and my new rasboras are very colorless so hopefully they will color up soon :)
temporary setup with some spawning mops for cover
DSCN1021.jpg

DSCN1022.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

Oh no, what a shame, lucky you had a spare tank to put them in.
Hope you get your other one fixed soon

I'd have been in tears tbh, but at least you found out about the leak before you'd added the fish.
Btw, mine were very pale at first, but they're colouring up nicely now.
There do seem to be at least 2 varieties though, one with orangey markings, others with the bright red

I'd have been in tears tbh, but at least you found out about the leak before you'd added the fish.
Btw, mine were very pale at first, but they're colouring up nicely now.
There do seem to be at least 2 varieties though, one with orangey markings, others with the bright red

yea i was about 10mins away from adding fish im so glad i went down stairs or else there would of been trouble.... yea i got four from another shop last week and they are abso stunning !!! will see if i can get pics later they are in a diff tank and really fast. but i think these ones are the orangy fin ones you described :crazy:

they colour up to red eventually, takes a while. recommended methods to breed them often say remove a pair and put them in a tank with a pot covered in mesh with moss on top so the eggs fall into the pot. I can see them being quite tough to breed, or at least being able to raise the fry. My 10 are maturing nicely though and i hope to have a crack at them soon.

I think it depends where you get them from.
I have some from one store that are quite pale with orange fins, & some from another store that are much deeper in colour with bright red fins, more like the ones you see in all the pics
I read somewhere that they're being found in other pools & the colouring is different so there could be different strains, time will tell

Most reactions

Back