My Fishes Are Acting Weird On My Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tell us all the main parameters, what fish, etc.

No offense but considering the nature of your responses i'm guessing your new at this and don't know too much about general fishkeeping, its a good start that your taking the time to learn, but i'd slow it down a bit, don't add anymore corals or fish until you know what you are doing.

Yes, I'm new here and no problem with that... :nod:

And that's why I'm here to learn more... :) A good start for me because some of my fishes is still alive for a month now. But there are some things I really need to learn more, like keeping the water healthy, is there any vitamins or anything that I will put into the water.

For food, I made fish food that I read on the other website. Mysys shrimp, octopus etc. and mixing it up with pellets then freeze it.

Do I really have to organized the rocks? Because as I observed, some fish likes to hide... ;)

Well, lets start with the first basic and most important parameter in reefkeeping, salinity (or specific gravity). How do you measure your salinity? What is it's typical value? Has anyone verified your measurements recently?

Well, lets start with the first basic and most important parameter in reefkeeping, salinity (or specific gravity). How do you measure your salinity? What is it's typical value? Has anyone verified your measurements recently?

Thanks for helping me out Ski... :D

My hydrometer is always on my tank, and there's a green line indicating the salinity and it stays in between or in the middle (green line and water). I will look for it's typical value when I get home later.

Can I turn off the lights? :unsure:

I wouldn't use those hydrometers because they have a reputation for not being the most accurate and they can get stuck to the side of your tank and give weird readings. Your salinity should be about 1.024 or around there, yes
you can turn off the lights but the lights should be on for 10-12 hours a day so it may be worth getting a timer.

Cheap hydrometers are known for being woefully inaccurate. Do you have an LFS nearby where you could take a water sample and ask them to test your salinity to double check it?

Do you think I should start again from the very beginning?

Here are some details from where I start this tank.

[1] 50 US Gallon and 20 US Gallon Sump
[2] Water and Saltwater Mix
[3] After a week I added some fish:
* 4 Butterfly Fish - 1 Died after a week
* 1 Dogface Puffer - Died after a month
[4] After a week again I added some fish and Bubbletip Anemone:
* 1 Humu Humu Trigger Fish - Still Alive
* 4 Clownfish - 2 Died several days
* 2 Bubbletip Anemone - Both died after 3 days
[5] After a week I added some fish again and some corals but I forgot the names:
* 1 Suncoral - Died after 5 days
* 2 unknown corals - 1 died and 1 still alive until now
* 2 Coral Beauty - Died after 3 Day
* 10 Other fishes...
[6] And until now... I think almost 30 fishes died... and some corals including the Long Tentacles Plate Coral...
* The Humu Humu Trigger Fish is the one who is very alive...!

Sorry I forgot to tell that I also have a missing Hawaiian Puffer on my tank, can this be a source of a water disease?

I know that there is something really wrong and I know that I got excited... Hope you help me when I start it all over again...! :D

Im afraid it sounds like you have done too much too soon.

The first thing I would do now (other then not buy anymore live stock) is to test your water.

You need to test for:
SG (salinity)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (not as important as the rest but still useful to know).

How much Liverock and water flow do you have in the tank?

To me in sounds like the tank was maybe not fully cycled and with the fish constantly being added it has never had chance to (which would account for everything dying). You need to check the water parameters above first then we will have a better idea of what is wrong.

I know now why other fishes on my tank dies, because some of the fishes doesn't eat...! They don't eat pellets or fish food. I just have to make an alternative for them. ;)

Given that both corals and lots of fish have died I dont think its a feeding issue but one of water quality.

Thank Barney,

My tank is OK for now, but I'm still observing it. None of my fish die:

3x 3 White Dots
1x Surgeon Fish
1x Brown Tang
1x Clown
1x Blue Wrasse
2x Koran Angel

2x Bubble Tip Anemone

I wish i could say something to help but everyone has said it really, i think you have set everything up just to soon. You really need time and wait :/ i know i have not had my tank set up that long but i can only add afew things at a time (start with hemit crabs and little things) then build the tank up. like everyone has said get test kits and test everything. let the cycle well cycle.

i wish you the best of luck really!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back