My first tropical freshwater tank! :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Neon1977

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i wanted to start this journal on here from today to better keep track of my progress, will try and post every day and hopefully help someone else out who may be having the same issues as myself or gains anything from it! I have started off small with a 25L ciano tank (picture attached) with a cf40 hang on the back filter, Betta premium aquairum heater set to 27 degrees with gaurd and currently 2 big fake plants, (i removed the two little ones in the middle for more room to swim) buddha (because im obsessed with buddhas!)/log decoration, four pebbles and the substrate is just normal aquarium sand. I currently have 6 Neon Tetra's in the tank and don't plan to get anymore as iv been advised it will be overstocked even though the LFS said i could have up to 12! :mad: the tank has been properly running now for four weeks so still in the cycle period (which when looking back i know i should of done a fishless cycle now i have all the facts as it resulted in the two platies that i first bought dying! Again lack of info from the LFS!) so i plan on getting some shrimp in there after another couple of weeks depending on how the Neon's are doing and how the cycle is doing! After very high dangerous nitrite levels peaking in my tank, i decided to take advice from the forum and test water daily, record results and do 50% water changes if ammo or nitrite are above 0 or nitrate is above 20, buy liquid tests for ammo, nitrite and nitrate, don't use stop ammo vials, don't rinse filter foam for 6 weeks, siphon top of sand as well as a 50-75% water change every week and feed once every other day until tank is cycled. Day 1 today of following said advice also after a 50% water change yesterday... i tested the water with strip tests until buying liquid tomorrow and nitrate was 20, ammo was between 0-0.5 and nitrite was between 0-.0.5. so i did a 50% water change and will test tomorrow with the liquid tests. They have not been fed today as i fed them yesterday, everything else seems fine, Neons still seem to either be chasing/fighting each other but other than that, nothing else to report! :)

Attachments

• 87474313_2851506348261755_7187496485590663168_n.jpg
    87474313_2851506348261755_7187496485590663168_n.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 112
Pretty tank. Live plants will be more beneficial as they soak up ammonia and nitrates. Floating plants are great. Try some anacharis it water sprite. Welcome to the forum.

Pretty tank. Live plants will be more beneficial as they soak up ammonia and nitrates. Floating plants are great. Try some anacharis it water sprite. Welcome to the forum.

Aww thank you! I agree after someone else's advice on live pants! i was put off by the amount of conflicting advice on how to maintain them! I want to get rid of the two big fake plants and funnily enough i want to get anacharis and water sprite tomorrow from the LFS but someone mentioned about live plants needing certain lighting etc and fertiliser all this and that! Do anacharis and water sprite need all that or will they just get all that they need from the water? I have a low voltage LED 12V 1.5W light that is attached to the top of the tank and is on for around 6-7 hrs a day. And thanks! :)

These plants are very easy to grow. I donā€™t feed mine and they do fine. I do suggest leaving your lights on for 1/ hours day. The fish need a day and night cycle as much as the plants need the light. :)

These plants are very easy to grow. I donā€™t feed mine and they do fine. I do suggest leaving your lights on for 1/ hours day. The fish need a day and night cycle as much as the plants need the light. :)

Oh brilliant so glad they don't need certain lighting etc! How many hours a day sorry? At the minute i have my light on between 4pm-10/11pm every day, do i need it more or? Thanks again.

Oh wow really! Is this not too much for Neon Tetras as iv heard they prefer to be in dim lighting!?
Once you add some floating plants they will help dim the light. My neons are just fine.

Oh wow really! Is this not too much for Neon Tetras as iv heard they prefer to be in dim lighting!?

Oh fab thanks again much appreciated! Will post a pic on my journal tomorrow when iv removed the fake plants and put the new live plants in! :)

Cute tank (=. Just waned to say that I also don't fertilize my live plants or do anything special for them, and so far they're still healthy and growing. I guess the fish poop fertilizes them. I just bought whatever random plants petco had and since I've had plants added my nitrites always are zero, so it does make a big difference. I'm pretty new to fish too so I share your excitement :D

Cute tank (=. Just waned to say that I also don't fertilize my live plants or do anything special for them, and so far they're still healthy and growing. I guess the fish poop fertilizes them. I just bought whatever random plants petco had and since I've had plants added my nitrites always are zero, so it does make a big difference. I'm pretty new to fish too so I share your excitement :D

Aww thanks!! Tried my best with it being my first! How you getting on? You been doing it long? I love it already addicted lol will end up with a tank in every room lol

If you're interested in keeping floating plants, you can try duckweed, frogbit, Salvinia, red root floater, water lettuce, or water hyacinth. :)

Aww thanks!! Tried my best with it being my first! How you getting on? You been doing it long? I love it already addicted lol will end up with a tank in every room lol
I had fish many years ago but had no clue what I was doing and eventually they all dies. This time around I've had 2 10 gal. tanks since around Christmas, and am trying to learn and do things right. Haven't lost any fish yet, though I'm dealing with a platy who hides and barely eats. Getting a 45 gallon tank this friday. Good luck to both of us lol

If you're interested in keeping floating plants, you can try duckweed, frogbit, Salvinia, red root floater, water lettuce, or water hyacinth. :)

Brilliant thanks for the other options! Do these need any lighting requirements or feeding etc? Could do with live plants that need very little if any maintenance with me being new and not having a bloody clue what Iā€™m doing! Lol

Brilliant thanks for the other options! Do these need any lighting requirements or feeding etc? Could do with live plants that need very little if any maintenance with me being new and not having a bloody clue what Iā€™m doing! Lol
Other than removing floating plants out from your tank, they are low maintenance. You can supplement the plants with liquid fertilizer. For the most part, floating plants are fast growers as they take in CO2 from the air.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back