My first aquarium in a LONG time...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

A final pic (we finally got round to building the last few Lego sets), unless I decide to add more plants.
You canā€™t quite see it properly, but thereā€™s an Ewok on a hang glider floating over by the filter box on the rightā€¦
The ship is looking filthy now, but it was a NIGHTMARE to get set up in the right position, so Iā€™m probably going to leave it. I want to get some freshwater shrimp in there, that may help clean it up a little.

A4D2AE3C-86EA-4979-B53A-68F15BB94F7C.jpeg

I want to add some shrimp, some neon tetras (about 10 of them), and then maybe some other animals in there that have a low bio load, and that are interesting to look at. Thatā€™ll be about it!

Its better in real life, as its not fixed to anything, so both the ship and the glider) move with the flow of the water coming from the pump.
You can see two lines underneath the ship, and if you look REALLY closely, you can see them under the ewok glider too...
I stole my dads ultra thin clear fishing line, and tied the ship to one of the pieces of lava rock, then fiddled about with where the line was tethered to the ship to get it to balance whilst floating.
Lego is a nightmare as it floats, so I couldn't test where both the ship and the glider were going to "sit" until they were in the tank, so kept having to take them out to balance them correctly. The glider is actually tethered to a piece of lava rock in 3 places, as I wanted it tilted to the side so you can see the Ewok, but the majority of the lego is actually at the front and back, rather than at the sides, so had to tie a third bit of fishing line to it to hold it in place.
The harder parts were the bits on the ground :) The AT ST is barely hanging on by a single Lego connection. I keep expecting to find it floating at the surface every day, but its holding on :)

I took a quick video:

Last edited:
Best. Dad. EVER! ? Love it! Please please keep updating us with photos, I've enjoyed this immensely! Looks awesome ??

This looks great! I never thought of putting legos in a fish tank, but that is a super creative way to get a themed tank!

The great thing about this is, that you can just keep adding stuff to it over time...
I didn't cover the bottom of the tank in a lego panel, I just put one that was about 20cm x 40cm. What I really should have done was cover the entire bottom of the tank with one so no matter where I wanted to put lego figures, I could.
Another word of advice if you decide to use Lego, its MUCH easier to fix it all in place before putting the sand in... I don't really know why I thought it would be an easy thing to do after getting fish in there, but I'm really expecting to come downstairs one morning and find the AT-ST floating at the top of the tank! It was more something to get the kids involved with over time, as we collect more Star Wars sets.
Also, dont just stick the lego figures straight onto the panel, then put the sand in, otherwise the Lego men look like they are knee deep and wading around in sand/gravel. To make it look right, the lego men need to be raised up so they look like they are standing on the sand, so I just stuck a single square (1x1) of Lego under one foot to raise them up a little. That way, because they aren't fixed in 2 places, you can turn the characters in the direction you want them to face to make the scene look more natural...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back