My Ever Changing Stocking Plan

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

As the title suggests, I have changed my mind numerous times on stocking but I'm hoping this may be the final draft, pending your feedback :)

My 90L tank is almost cycled (hopefully). There will be 2 pieces of bogwood a few rocks (2 large, 2 small), Jungle val, Anubias, Java moss, Frog bit and some crypts. I am also trying to find a nice cave that isn't too big. My water is pH 7.6 - 7.8.

In the above set up, I would like the following fish, stocked gradually starting with the lemon tetras. About half way through I am looking to upgrading from my fluval U2 internal filter to an external filter.

Neon Tetra X 7
Panda Cory x 6
Bolivian Ram x 1m & 2f
7 x Lemon tetra
Cherry Shrimp x 10
Bristlenose Pleco x 1

Firstly, what do you all think of the numbers, for each species and the overall total for my tank?

For these fish, will I have good cover/hiding places/territories for them all? Would one cave be enough?

Any opinion on the male to female ratio for the rams? I heard that 2f to every 1m is good but also read that once paired, the pair for life so I worry that I might end up with one lonely female.

Am I ok for these fish with my pH? I am in aScotland so my water is soft but haven't tested it.

Any other feedback most welcome.

Fingers crossed I have it sorted now.

Many thanks,
David

Rams prefer a lower PH of 5.5 to 6.8, but my German Blues do fine in a 7.2 PH. I have read both that they pair for life, and that they switch partners, so I have 2 males and 3 females, have been doing quite well in this set up. I have 6 lemon tetras as well, and they add a bit of color, but I'm not a fan of them. But that's all personal preference. The fish would all do well together as far as I know. As long as you keep the temperatures on the upper end (78-80). Good luck with the tank!

2 rams will be fine. If you don't have an interest in breeding them, just get 2 at random. Males or females they will get along with one another.
Other than that, your stocking would look ok. The only change I might make would be to change the bnp for 5-7 oto cats. Great algae eaters, with much less biomass.
If your water is real soft, the bog wood will lower the pH fairly quickly, so keep an eye on it.
All the fish will do well at a temp between 72°-80°F. I would shoot for 75°F or so.

So with my ph being 7.6-7.8 should I try and lower it or will the Bolivians be ok as your Germans are in 7.6?

I am really keen on the Bolivians rams and I I do need to lower my ph what is the best way to do it? I see there are lots of methods.

Thanks

David

Is that not going to be quite heavily stocked? 90ltr isn't a huge tank, my 90 is only going to have 14-16 fish in when fully stocked.

It is indeed going to be a full tank, plus a bit more.  I'd suggest dropping the BN pleco - they can be quite messy little fish - to lower the bioload a bit.  The stocking is great in terms of temperment, but a bit heavy.

You can always add a bit more fish than the 1 inch per gallon rule if you are very good about doing extra water changes and have sufficient filtration (over filtration).  With the internal, its probably not a good idea to go quite that heavy, but with a quality external, it should be just fine.

I'd second the Bolivians being more hardy than GBRs and would work fine in this set-up.

And I'd second the dropping of the BN pleco - they are a very messy fish and will significantly increase your bioload.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

It was (is) my intention to change to an external filter about half way through my stocking. Would my suggested stock still be too high even with an external? What performance of filter, if any, in terms of litres per hour would be ideal for this level of stocking or is it the case that I really just need to lower,my numbers? Realistically I will not be able to do more than one water change a week.

If I swap the BNP for 5-6 ottos, is that a better overall stocking or still too much. What about if I were to also drop the shrimp from 10 down to 5?

Thanks,

David

David J said:
Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

It was (is) my intention to change to an external filter about half way through my stocking. Would my suggested stock still be too high even with an external? What performance of filter, if any, in terms of litres per hour would be ideal for this level of stocking or is it the case that I really just need to lower,my numbers? Realistically I will not be able to do more than one water change a week.

If I swap the BNP for 5-6 ottos, is that a better overall stocking or still too much. What about if I were to also drop the shrimp from 10 down to 5?

Thanks,

David
I dont think the shrimp have much of an effect on the bioload actually, i think they help it out because they eat leftovers and such. I have two otocinclus right now and they cleaned my tank completely of algae and are now playing on the plants i got them. I also have an albino bn pleco and he does make a mess. He is in a 10gallon that is fully cycled and is very healthy though so i think he will do fine.

Hi

Quick update for anyone this interest.

Tank now has the following inhabitants.

8 Lemon Tetra.
5 Panda Cory's
6 Glowlight tetra

I have swapped my internal filter to a fluval 206 external with a spraybar. The tank is looking great at the moment.

Tomorrow I'm intending on adding the Bolivian rams. I am nervous about changing anything in the tank but onwards and upwards. I've done lots of reading and thinking about it and definately going for 1m and 1f but I have a little thing in my head about going for 2f and 1m.

I will think some more about it tonight and will also have a chat with my LFS tomorrow. Any opinions welcome. Also, any tips on sexing would be great just in case the LFS don't have a clue.

Thanks,

D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back