My egg bound Betta won't stop growing!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ChikfilB

Reaction score
I have had my Betta since August and haven't had an issue until a couple weeks ago when my female began to get fat (or so I thought). So I cut down on feeding her only for her to get bigger. Slowly she bloated so big I figured out she must be egg bound because I can see the eggs through her skin and there's a little white dot on her ovipositor. I have tried putting a mirror in front of her and fasting her to drop her eggs but she just won't and I'm afraid she's going to lol herself by not dropping her eggs. Please help with how to fix this.
P.S. she swims great, is very active, and eats well when I feed her.

Attachments

• 1578516804789853168113751210253.jpg
    1578516804789853168113751210253.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 130
I am not sure she's egg bound, it looks like she has a bad case of drowsy. When you look at her from above does it look like her scales are sticking out like a pinecone?

If she is egg bound you might be able to see through her skin and scales and see the eggs

Not sure that’s egg bound. Usually they are round on the side too. She seems to be all underneath. You can gently squeeze her and see if it helps release any eggs. Looks like dropsy to me too.

I have had dropsy without the pineconing but it is a common symptom. Try what @Deanasue suggested and keep us posted :)

Do you guys suggest I use the wet q tip method or Epsom salt baths or both?

I have never kept female bettas so I will have to let someone more experienced in this area step in. Something I have researched is remove her from the tank and put her in something smaller next to another tank with a male in it and when she sees him she may release her eggs

I have never kept female bettas so I will have to let someone more experienced in this area step in. Something I have researched is remove her from the tank and put her in something smaller next to another tank with a male in it and when she sees him she may release her eggs
You could try the Epsom salt bath

You can add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt in a gallon of dechlorinated water the same temp as tank. Leave her in for 15 minutes. Then place her back in tank. The epsom salt acts as a laxative. Then fast her for 24 hours and a feed her a boiled, peeled pea after the 24 hours.

O
You can add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt in a gallon of dechlorinated water the same temp as tank. Leave her in for 15 minutes. Then place her back in tank. The epsom salt acts as a laxative. Then fast her for 24 hours and a feed her a boiled, peeled pea after the 24 hours.
K I'll try. Just one time?

She looks like this from th top. The salt bath didn't seem to do anything

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_195111.jpg
    IMG_20200108_195111.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 81
She looks pine coned or is that just the pic? You can do epsom salt baths 3 times a day, depending on her stress level.

Her scales honestly look smooth to me. The picture just shows the color contrast imo

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back