My desert oasis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Wow. I havent been on TFF for like months. But I still have fish(and lots of them). I live in one of the hottest areas of Arizona (so the water here is tropical) and we have built a pond in my backyard. We have kept many fish in it but right now it has been its most diverse. The nearest water to us is the colorado river about 5 miles from me and yet over the 9 years this pond has been running, creatures have adapted to live in and around my yard. The current fish in it are:

Cyprinus carpio (Koi) I have one left I recieved from California whose parents went for 20 K each!
Carassius auratus (Goldfish) Many are offspring and have some very unique markings(one has one orange side and one white side....half-face)
Those are the basics but here are the rest.
LIVEBEARERS
Poecilia Reticulata (Guppy) All offspring from IFGA award winning guppies
Poecilia sphenops (Molly)
Poecilia latipinna (Sailfin Molly)
Xiphophorus helleri (Swordtail)
Xiphophorus maculatus (Platy)
Gambusia affinis (Mossquitofish)
Poeciliopsis occidentalis (Gila Topminnow) Endangered livebearer from the gila river about 6 hours from here that thrives in my pond and reproduces

Another native fish in my pond is a Rhinichthys osculus (Speckled Dace) . He and my prized Honduran Redpoint Cichlids( a fish that is so recently discovered...it hasnt been given a scientific name yet!) continue to maintain a steady and strong population of livebearers.
I also come across water bugs and larva from dragonflys whom also keep populations down.

and thats my diverse arizonian pond :D

certainly is diverse! got any pics of the pond and fish??

I wouldn't call Honduran Red Point Cichlids recently discovered. They may have recently been recognized as something different than a blue convict but they've been around for awhile. I believe they were discovered in 1981.

Anyway, nice collection of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back