My Bettas Died Overnight - Please Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Libby

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if anyone here can help me at all.

About a month ago I rescued 3 Bettas that were in dreadful conditions in my lfs, one died last week and I wasn't sure why, thought maybe it was just his time to go. The other 2 seemed fine, nice and healthy, eating well etc, then blue one suddenly gets what looks like fin rot - more or less overnight. I'd been doing frequent water changes (about every 3 days, they're each in 2 gallon bowls) so did another and put some fin rot treatment in - dissolved it first etc., didn't put too much in, BUT didn't notice the bit on the box about increasing aeration - next day bluey was gasping for air, grey and eventually had to be euthanised. Red one was also looking a bit ill at this point whereas he'd been fine the previous day, he'd always had a bit of a raggedy tail since I got him from shop so I put a bit of the treatment in with him too thinking it would help. Half an hour after noticing he wasn't too good he was dead too. I felt dreadful and put it down to me not aerating the water after putting the fin rot treatment in it.

So I cleaned out everything out properly, (no detergents) got the bowls all ready, let the water sit overnight etc., and went and bought 2 more yesterday. Woke up this morning and new red one is dead (he was beautiful too) and yellow one was gasping for air - both looked really healthy in the pet shop, and I was careful to acclimatise them to their new bowls.

I'm wondering if my water supply could have changed drastically over the last few days as everything was fine with my Bettas until a couple of days ago. If anyone could spread any light on this for me I'd be so grateful. I've decided not to get any more Bettas until I know what's happened.

Thanks
Libby

It seems to me that the cause is more likely something airborn, since it affected healthy fish - though even if you do let water sit overnight, it needs dechlorinator as there is more than just chlorine that those products remove. Did anyone spray anything near the tanks? Is someone painting the house? Is your oven auto-cleaning? Anything like that?

Or are anyone working on your water lines? Sometimes it could be the water. I noticed a change int he water when i moved to the country, and sometimes if they are doing work on the water lines, particles can get into the water.

Along those lines, did you/your parents recently add chlorine or salt to your water? I know we have to do that at my place every month or two, and for two days after that, I don't risk using it on the fish, even with dechlorinator, because it reeks like a swimming pool.

Thanks everyone. The only thing I can think of is the water supply has changed drastically in the last few days as I've done everything as normal. After leaving the fresh water overnight, I also use 'Fresh Start' - does that deal with the chloramines and heavy metals?

There's been no air freshners sprayed in the room (spare bedroom) or fly sprays, the temp has been kept constant - I just can't figure out what made them start gasping for air at the surface and dying when they can breathe from it. I feel like such a dreadful Betta murderer at the moment and refuse to inflict myself on a nother poor fishy until I've figured out what went wrong.

I read somewhere that Water Companies add their chemicals on certain days which could affect water quality, so I'm off to buy a master test kit and test the water daily for the next month to see if I can find any mad variations.

Thanks again for your replies.
Libby

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back