My betta has fungus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dwarfs

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
What should I do? I alredy treat the water regularly with aqara-sol and he was fine a week ago. He is becoming innactive and just laying on the ground. He is the coolest betta I ever had and I think I might loose him :-( :rip: Help me please :sad: It's all over his lips and seems to be developing in his gills, I can see it comming out of the gill covers. :crazy: I was going to breed him but I don't think he's gonna make it. His girl still swims around in her tank trying to get his attention. So sad :sad:

May I add that he was very healthy and strong before this happened :-( :sad:
If I seem a little sad it's because my fish rarely get this sick, and I haven't had any die for...a long time.

I'm treating one of my bettas right now with an EXTREMELY horrible aggressive flesh eating 'fungus' it looked like when it started. She bumped it last week and the yucky gooey patch fell off and she had a hole all the way to her insides and it was seeping blood. I didn't think she would make it through the night,but she is still kicking today and it's growing over. Here's what I did...Every 24 hours,I change 50% of her water,add 1 tbsp. salt per gallon,and treated with auqarisol every time I changed some of the water. I upped the dosage of it because it was so aggressive,and it's going away. The trick to it is super clean water,and I strongly believe salt aids in the healing process. Aquarisol is good stuff.

Hi dwarfs :)

It's not a fungus, it's Columnaris and possibly Aeromonas bacteria that he's infected with. They look like fungus, but are actually bacteria.

I would go right to the antibiotics to treat this. Kanacyn by Aquatronics or KanaPlex by Seachem are both good and will treat either and/or both infections at the same time. Follow the directions and be sure to treat it for the entire time that it recommends.

Both bettas and cory cats frequently come down with this infection and the same medication works equally well for both fish. :nod:

In the meantime, keep your water very clean and make sure the temperature does not rise above 75 degrees. Do not let any uneaten food remain in the tank, and make sure that there is plenty of oxygen in the water by adding an airstone, or doing frequent water changes. This will slow the growth of the bacteria and aid in its cure.

Good luck, dwarfs. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Sorry to here that

I think my betta has the same thing. I hope he will be alright :(

I just tested the water and this is what I got:

Chlorine: 0
Nitrite: 0
Total hardness: 10 (very soft)
PH: 6.8-7.2

I'm still wondering what the problem is

Good news on mine, it turns out it was fungus after all. The patches started clearing up about an hour ago and he ate a little food.

I am so relieved.

Sorry to hear that, i lost my betta last night to some kind of fungal infection as well.

Hi dwarfs

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta. :rip:

He had a good life while he was with you, and now he's in the big aquarium in the sky. :nod:

Most reactions

Back