My Aquarium Housing/cabinet Project

an update on things:

To help with the water changes I ran two lengths of 1/4" piping to the tank from outside to the tank. This is often sold as john guest pipe - you can get loads of fittings etc and is all push-fit together - I was a bit dubious of this push fit but had to use some when I replaced our kitchen last year and nothing has leaked so hopefully all ok - because its "trade" stuff rather than for fishes its also cheap - 20 metres of tube was a bit over ten pounds.

I put this tube inside some normal garden hose just to offer some extra protection.

TH3_1263 by tim-uk, on Flickr

To get the water out I bought a tiny 12v pump - adapted this to take a sponge filter:

TH3_3407.JPG by tim-uk, on Flickr

I had planned on using a float valve to control the water in (like one used on a toilet cistern) and even bought a mini one off ebay but when it arrived it didn't look great and I was also worried what if it got stuck - my tank doesn't have an overflow like a toilet does. I did some more looking and found some electrical float switches for just 99p and also a mini valve similar to one on a washing machine but with proper threaded inlets, worked on 12v and only £4 from ebay china ! As the float switches were so cheap I used two in series in case one got stuck.

TH3_3297 by tim-uk, on Flickr

I decided to get another of these valves to use on the outlet just in case water could siphon out via the mini pump.

You can see these in place here:

TH3_3400 by tim-uk, on Flickr

I wanted to have things so that the pump emptied the tank when a switch was on and then automatically stopped when a level reached, similarly for the input I wanted water to come in when a switch was on and then stop automatically when full. I wasn't sure what current the float switches could take so used a couple of car relays to be on safe side:

TH3_3288 by tim-uk, on Flickr

Wiring all this up was a nightmare as I hadn't planned on such complexity and so already short of space:

TH3_3301 by tim-uk, on Flickr

TH3_3303 by tim-uk, on Flickr

The extra switches are for the fans (mentioned in earlier posts) and a spare 12v which I will use for an air pump if needed. Everything has led's and I have flashing ones for when water is going out or in.

Unfortunately one of the led's blew - I don't know if it was a dodgy one but this reminded me about relays giving off a high voltage so I replaced the led and added a protector diode - had to make a wiring harness for this as space so tight:

TH3_3311-2 by tim-uk, on Flickr

If this lot works might rewire everything as all quite messy now !

I then put the power filter and extra canisters in the cupboard and piped in - thought this would take ten minutes but was so crammed took hours ! You can also see the sliding platform these sit in - I made this into a tray and lined with butyl to keep any leaks in:

TH3_3404 by tim-uk, on Flickr

I bought an HMA water filter - expensive - almost fifty pounds - but this would mean I wouldn't have to worry about adding water conditioners. At the moment I have this sitting outside connected to outside tap. Don't know what I will do long term as could freeze but its 30C at the moment so don't need to worry yet !

TH3_3406 by tim-uk, on Flickr

Today I hope to turn the water on and see what happens !!!

Looks great!
Just curious....What sort of job do you have that has given you all these skills? 
You sure are smart! I don't think I'd have half the patience to do something like this or the skills. I'd probably end up electrocuting myself LOL.

Blondielovesfish said:
Looks great!
Just curious....What sort of job do you have that has given you all these skills? 
You sure are smart! I don't think I'd have half the patience to do something like this or the skills. I'd probably end up electrocuting myself LOL.

my background is control engineering so I like things to work automatically -  now I'm working in a school in design and technology so hopefully encouraging the pupils to make things too.

The "marine boys" often locate their auto top-up/drain systems in a small tank connected to the main one via a syphon (U-tube). Thus if something fails, you can have an overflow on the small tank (& alarm), and if something over drains the syphon breaks meaning only the small tank drains. They also put their top-up valves and drain pumps on timers so that if the valve & or floats do jam they will only be working for say 10minutes.

been ill so things got delayed, but better now and got a lot done yesterday and today and just about there now !

tank was filled up but the old blue filter canisters leaked very badly - tried silicone but no good, I think the seals must have failed. I therefore decided to use the water filter type canisters and put these in the second cupboard along with the HMA filter as my wife said I could use this cupboard too ! I used some sliders from screwfix so the filters can be easily accessed:

TH3_3493 by tim-uk, on Flickr

This also meant the plumbing in the other cupboard was a lot less cramped now:

TH3_3491 by tim-uk, on Flickr

Completed all the plumbing for the water-changers and managed to cram this all into a little space on the top of the tank:

TH3_3485 by tim-uk, on Flickr

At the other side I put the float switches:

TH3_3484 by tim-uk, on Flickr

Fitted the thermometers, one for tank, the other for the room temperature:

TH3_3483 by tim-uk, on Flickr

led lights from above:

TH3_3490 by tim-uk, on Flickr

The first occupants:

TH3_3448 by tim-uk, on Flickr

TH3_3496 by tim-uk, on Flickr

Just got some tidying up to do now:

TH3_3504 by tim-uk, on Flickr

LOL I'm so jealous of how this tank has turned out!
It looks great!
Good job! 
good.gif

Very nice work mate! Clean, tidy and will save you a lot of effort and time in water changes! I am actually blown away in how you managed to fit all that in such a small space. Well done :)

A really decent job. I like the way you sorted the electrics, quite impressive actually. 

Well done and hope to build something like this myself one day when got the time and money!

Nice one 
good.gif

Now all it needs is another cupboard for the CO2 and fertiliser autodoser and you can fill it with high tech plants as well!

excellent diy project, Its given me a few ideas (reaches for the screwfix,wickes catalogue)

My mind has turned to mush after seeing your door interior lined with mains electrical sockets directly opposite the water under pressure filter pipes, and your water changing pipework. I'm off to lay down in a darkened room. I like your doubling up belt and braces approach to float switches and pipe jubilee clips. I'd be tempted to throw in a splash/ leak guard of some sort ( thin perspex sheet? ) between filter unit and all that main electrical magic. 
good.gif

Most reactions

Back