My angel has lost one of its pelvic feelers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishy Mishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have noticed this morning that one of my Angel Fish seems to have lost one of its pelvic feelers - there is a tiny little bit left.
Not sure how it happened and wanted to know if this will grow back?
Many thanks

Do you mean the ventrals?

angelventrals.jpg

If so, these were probably nipped by another fish. There is the possibility that it was fin rot but since it was only one fin, my bet is on the nipping. It will grow back. :) What other fish do you have in the tank?

SPLiSH said:
Do you mean the ventrals?

angelventrals.jpg

If so, these were probably nipped by another fish. There is the possibility that it was fin rot but since it was only one fin, my bet is on the nipping. It will grow back. :) What other fish do you have in the tank?
[snapback]902697[/snapback]​
yes thats right thanks did not know official terminology.
I have livebearers, dwarf gourami, corys and cardinals

That's ok. :)

Hmm... cories are hippy fish and won't bother anyone, and cardinals are too small and shy to do any damage. The dwarf gourami is my bet. But what kind of livebearers do you have?

SPLiSH said:
That's ok. :)

Hmm... cories are hippy fish and won't bother anyone, and cardinals are too small and shy to do any damage. The dwarf gourami is my bet. But what kind of livebearers do you have?
[snapback]902699[/snapback]​
mollies, platies and guppies

In that case I reckon it was the dwarf gourami. Keep and eye on him (assuming it's a him, the males are more aggressive and brighter in colour) and if the aggression doesn't stop, re-arrange a few things in the tank to break up territories or if things get very nasty, give the gourami some time out in a breeding trap or such. :)

SPLiSH said:
In that case I reckon it was the dwarf gourami. Keep and eye on him (assuming it's a him, the males are more aggressive and brighter in colour) and if the aggression doesn't stop, re-arrange a few things in the tank to break up territories or if things get very nasty, give the gourami some time out in a breeding trap or such. :)
[snapback]902702[/snapback]​
The only thing is I have had my guppy tail fin nipped BEFORE I got the gourami and angels (both new purchases) - all that was in the tank then were the mollies and platies.

Hmm... the plot thinkens lol. Platies can chase each other around a bit but usually limit that to their own species.

One thing I forgot, how big is the angel?

SPLiSH said:
Hmm... the plot thinkens lol. Platies can chase each other around a bit but usually limit that to their own species.

One thing I forgot, how big is the angel?
[snapback]902704[/snapback]​
about 1.5"

Well... :*) Sorry I assumed the angel was bigger. My mistake, sorry.

In that case, a fully grown guppy or platy is larger than the angel! Mollies are big but gentle so I don't think it would be them. Platies usually only bicker between themselves.

Taking the size of the angel into account, I'd point the finger at the guppies now.

Don't mean to interupt the post, but the long feeler fins are actually the pelvic fins.

The ventral fin is the the unpaired fin adjacent to the tail (caudal) fin. Hence the name "ventral", the fin being closest to the vent, ie genital area. Also sometimes referred to as the anal fin, being that it is in close proximity to the anal region.

Don't mean to interrupt the interruption, but they are both right, this diagram is from Angels Plus;

angelanatomy6dd.png

Tolak

Oh, sorry I've never heard them being called pelvics before. :*)
Thanks Tolak. :)

MogoMadness said:
Don't mean to interupt the post, but the long feeler fins are actually the pelvic fins.

The ventral fin is the the unpaired fin adjacent to the tail (caudal) fin. Hence the name "ventral", the fin being closest to the vent, ie genital area. Also sometimes referred to as the anal fin, being that it is in close proximity to the anal region.
[snapback]903527[/snapback]​

No YOU'RE wrong :p actually you refer to the anal fin. Ventral/pelvic fin is the same fin.

Most reactions

trending

Back