My Amano Shrimp Have Shed Their Skin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
This morning I looked into my planted tank and saw the skin of one of the Amano shrimp I have, on closer inspection I realised that there were 5 shed skins out of my 5 Amano shrimp. I'm not worried that they have shed their skins but why they've all done it at exactly the same time. At the moment they seem fine.

Should I be worried? I have been using Flourish Excel daily and I've heard this can affect them, although I have only used half a dose at a time and carry a 50% change every 3 days. Could this have triggered them to shed their skin? I don't think it should have because I've been dosing excel for almost 2 weeks now and it seems strange that they would shed on the same day.

Needless to say I carried out a 50% water change immediately for cautionary measures. Should I continue adding excel? Is it a rare occurence for them all to shed their skin at the same time?

Cheers,
Mike

As they grow they shed there external shell so that the softer underlayer can develop. As they get larger they have to be able to get bigger so discarding the shell is the only way to grow. Water parameters may affect this is on some level but you may just have one wonderful coincidence.

Chris

Ok, so it's a good thing.

Nothing wrong at all, its a good thing cos it shows they are happy, healthy and growing.

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back