My 4gal 'reef' Journal

I have used Reef Critters many times. The prices are great and the stoch is always healthy. 90% of my clean up crew came from there inc starfish snails hermits crabs shrimps etc.
There are a few others but most only ever have a limited stock.

Thanks very much littleme! :D I'm going to get a couple of snails from there, unfortunately I can't get astreae as you can only order them in 6's :/ I was only looking to get one or two :p However I'll probably get two Nassirus(sp?). Thanks very much for the link! :)

However when I tried to order the £5 of snails I needed it told me I could order no less than £20! xD...Bugger :p I've been looking into reefstock.com instead, it has a minium order of £15 rather than £20, it also sells coral so I should be able to make it to the £15 minium :D

It's not as hard as it seems honestly :D It's all just being patient really.

Although having said that I've just found one of my hermits dead :( They're lying on the sand, all sad like without a shell. I'm not sure how they died as there's alot of algae in there. Could anyone give me a hint on what might have caused the death? My water stats are stable ie:

Sg - 1.06
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 2.5

I think it might have been the activated carbon in the HOB which caused the spike, I left it in there for a bit too long. Yargh, well you learn from your mistakes I guess..

Algae has reeally taken over the tank, I've got hair algae all over the glass and alot of macro algae coming up on the liverock. Also I saw some apitasia (sp?) just now! It's only about a cm wide and it's right behind all my rockwork. I think I'll leave it there for now to see what happens with it.

On the snail front - I'm still looking! :(

Probably just a molt ;). Hermits, crabs, and shrimp tend to molt in new tanks due to the change in iodine. Neither good nor bad, but know that it happens a lot.

That might explain why I couldn't find the shell anywhere :p

Thanks for the advise Ski! I'll go search round the tank now to see if you're right ^^...(5 minutes later) HE'S ALIVE! :D yay for Skifletch :)

Would it be best to remove the molt?

UPDATE!

Wooo! I went to the LFS today to get a magfloat (as the front of the glass was too full of hair algae for me to ignore anymore :p) and they had snails in! They had in Nassarius Vibex and Trochus Maculatus (referencing google images for the Trochus sp.)

They cost alot though :/ £4.50 for the Nassarius and 2.50 for the Trochus (ironicly the Trochus grows 3 times the size eh? xD) Unfortunately I can't think of a name for either of them :(

Most reactions

Back