My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

I like bi-color angels so long as you dont try to keep them with open brains and/or furry SPS

sounds like your right on track1 keep it up

And remember a picture is worth onethousand words!

Thanks, LOL yeah yeah, I'll take more pictures. I always get grief for not having enough rock though, it gets a little tiresome. :shout: and I have more than enough in the filtration sense, just not as much as everyone else seems to have. LOL

I like bi-color angels so long as you dont try to keep them with open brains and/or furry SPS

OK, duly noted. I think we'll get one of those next :good: Thanks Mike :fun:

So we upgraded our lighting, we added a further T8 which had made a HUGE difference to the light, and means we can have some soft corals! Yay!
We bought a chunk of LR - another 4lbs of it, with 2 large pulsing xenia's attached. No sooner had it gone into the tank, one of the peppermint shrimp dived in and starting ripped it to bits!! So I chased him and then fed them hoping he might leave it alone :/ Now I am on shrimp watch.

In other news, the banggai cardinal has won the heart of Jill, the female clown, and Jack, the male, has been left on his own :( They are a mated pair, but I've even seen the cardinal wiggling for Jill!! What is going on there?!?!

Firefish are doing well, as is everything else. I am so in love with this xenia you just wouldn't believe it. LOL

Pics soon xx

update???

beginning to think you don't love us anymore :sad:

update???

I do! Lots of things happening at home right now, should be updating soon with pics etc. Coral is doing fine, fish all fine, water fine, quite dull really!! *touch wood*

I'm checking in now and then, hope to be back properly soon :)

update???

I do! Lots of things happening at home right now, should be updating soon with pics etc. Coral is doing fine, fish all fine, water fine, quite dull really!! *touch wood*

I'm checking in now and then, hope to be back properly soon :)

ha ha fair enough, i look forward to a proper update and lots of pics soon then :hey: :D

Well, just thought I would drop in and give a brief update... still need to take some pics, but I have a couple to show you. Things have been going well *touches wood* The fish are all thriving and getting big, poor jack - male clown is still on the small side, I think Jill is eating for them both cos she is huge! The coral has spread and seems to be doing good also... nothing much in the way of news unfortunately, haven't got around to buying anything else as we've had other financial commitments... We still haven't installed the skimmer - again time constraints... but doing bi-monthly 10% changes seems to be keeping things under control... the nitrates hit around 15 on the day of the water change, so I am assuming this is ok... nothing seems affected by it anyways!!

I've got algae everywhere... green stuff which is an absolute nightmare to scrape off, and orangey/red stuff that is a breeze... is this cyano? all over the glass... I scrape it and 2 days later it is back. The snails make some interesting patterns in it in between scrapes, and keep us amused. There is plenty of coralline on the back and sides, which is great... and the live rock is almost totally purple/pink. We're loving it actually, just need some more corals and fish!!

Full tank, a month ago... more coralline now... must take new pics!!
15.03.07.1.jpg

Xenia and couple of fish... I know, the tank looks empty.
15.03.07.2.jpg

The xenia.. we bought live rock with 3 shoots attached, so it isn't a nice neat circle, but it is fantastic.. and pulses like crazy.
15.03.07.3.jpg

Bye for now!

awww pretty pics, glad it's all going well.

when we had algae issues we tried everything and tested for everything, couldn't seem to figure it out. then we realised we'd never really finished off adding our CUC and had put too many fish in. stuck in a load more snails and barely had any algae since (well except last week when i left the tank luights on overnight :rolleyes: )

awww pretty pics, glad it's all going well.

when we had algae issues we tried everything and tested for everything, couldn't seem to figure it out. then we realised we'd never really finished off adding our CUC and had put too many fish in. stuck in a load more snails and barely had any algae since (well except last week when i left the tank luights on overnight :rolleyes: )

Yeah, we are short on CUC, the hermits have killed all our cerith snails and a few turbos have commited suicide. Trouble is, local LFS are crap for CUC and online you pay a holy fortune to have them shipped... not bad when I bought my first lot, think I paid about £60 plus £15 p&p, but my last order I paid £15 plus £18.50... an extra £3.50 for the order being below £30. *dies* Maybe I'm not finding the best places????

Must.Find.And.Buy.Snails.

:good:

Your tank looks awesome, I like the blue background. :good:

Thanks! It is actually much darker than it looks on the photos, and generally less clean! LOL

I keep going to update, then remembering I have to add pics, so I put off updating until I have pics... and here we are, months later again.

Things are going well, we're still running sump and skimmerless, changing 15% weekly and nitrates are fluctuating nicely below 20. Phosphates are good, everything seems fine. Still getting what I think is Cyano on the glass - dark burgundy/red, and diatoms on the sand a little bit, but we've just added 10 turbo snails, as it suddenly occured to me that our CUC was really non-existant. We've got bubble algae (still) and the emerald crab we bought at the start was completely uninterested, so we've bought another 3 in the hope at least 1 will eat it!! So far, not much happening. Went to the LFS today and bought a bi-color angel, to collect tomorrow, so finally there WILL be pics!! We're going to invest in more LR shortly, although I like the way it looks now... hubby wants more rock.. so more rock he'll have.

I have a question too, might be obvious, but just checking.... when we bought all the LR at the start, one chunk was COVERED in bubble algae and hairy stuff, it was so bad I chucked it into a bucket and it got left in the shed. Now, of course, everything is dead. I've rinsed it in RO and given it a good shake off, will it be ok to add to the tank as-is??? It's been 7 months.... I am assuming it won't cause any spikes or anything...?!

Pics coming, I promise!!

*waits for pics*

Yeah the rock will be fine. You might want to boil it a few times just to get the last little bits of dead stuff off it :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back