Muppet Alert......

You can download pictures with it yes, but it doesn't have any storage on it so you can't save pictures TO it.

Like above, the data limit is the amount you can download/upload. Effectively it's a Wifi adapter which uses the mobile network instead.

Just curious though, what contract do you have with them? I'm tempted to give it a go with one of these, I don't necessarily need it but there is always a time I want it on my laptop when I'm out.

you can buy the dongles with storage mate efectivley a wifi dongole and flash drive in one

Might be worth looking at a new phone. I used to have a similar dongle for the netbook but since I got an HTC Desire I was able to bin it - the phone can share it's 3G connection and show up as a wireless access point - in simple terms, you press a button on the phone and you can connect your laptop just like using wifi at home.

I think the HTC Wildfire (the smaller/cheaper) version of the Desire has this option, although I'd be surprised if Desire's weren't going cheap second hand. Absolutely cracking bit of kit.

Might be worth looking at a new phone. I used to have a similar dongle for the netbook but since I got an HTC Desire I was able to bin it - the phone can share it's 3G connection and show up as a wireless access point - in simple terms, you press a button on the phone and you can connect your laptop just like using wifi at home.

I think the HTC Wildfire (the smaller/cheaper) version of the Desire has this option, although I'd be surprised if Desire's weren't going cheap second hand. Absolutely cracking bit of kit.

I'd avoid this for one reason, this method is called 'tethering'. Mobile providers have ways of detecting tethering, and may charge extremely highly for this service (Often way more than a 3G dongle/contract costs).

Do some phones not support tethering at the same cost per mb ?

Ahh fair enough

unless you go for 3 who are offering unlimited browsing including teathered and its quite cheap if i remember correctly

Dont know if its the same as my one (not using it this second thank god) but mine is a Vodaphone one (its white if that helps LOL) and it does have a tiny slot you can get extra memory card for it. Failing that, i would just get a seperate USB stick for memory, they are so small, smaller than the wifi stick!

Do some phones not support tethering at the same cost per mb ?
Phone companies separate standard phone web access and tethering and usually charge much more for tethering.

I had no idea that was the case - that seems ridiculous for people (like me) who already have a data allowance. It seems absurd for people who don't go over the limit (even with tethering) to be charged - data is data at the end of the day isn't it?

Technically, yes, data is data, but surely as you know phone companies are phone companies and do love their money.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back