Mum has joined the aquarium hobby again!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good afternoon
Further to me getting 3 tanks :banana::cool:, my mum wants to get back into the aquarium hobby.

When I was young, like many of you know, fishkeeping advice was very different, there was no cycling of tanks. She even had a common pleco! That got very large but luckily it was a very large tank! She also had Silver Dollars, they were lovely. And I genuinely don't remember a death in the fish tank, so she must have been lucky or done something right!

I've taken her through the mistakes I made, why not to make them through her new tank, and have given her the cycling guide. She's already purchased the API testing kit and is following the guide religiously!

Anyway, her tank is a Marina Vue 87L 76cm x 30cm x 46cm with filter and heater already installed. She obviously isn't ready for fish yet but her water GH/KH are
Calcium carbonate 366mg/l
Calcium 146.4mg/l
25.474*C Degrees Clark
36.6*F Degrees French
20.789*dH Degrees German
3.66 mmo

Livebearers are an obvious choice here, but what other suggestions for fish are there please?

Thank you

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 134
I'm going blind looking at hard water fish. Some Danios are but not sure if tank size is ok. Live-bearers, Rainbowfish too. A small pleco like a Bristlenose.

Haaaaaang on there just a weee second. Am I right then in thinking Bristlenose are suitable for hard water then? Was thinking of getting one to put in with my guppies?

Step back everyone ....Iā€™ve got this (Possibly)......fishkeeping heads all over the planet are shaking while sayingā€no no no no noā€.

My water and tank dimensions are virtually identical, see signature.
Ive spent months trawling SF for suitable fish for dh AND tank length. Iā€™ve about 30 in a list. How fighty/compatible/crossbreedy or easy they are to find youā€™d have to ask about on here.

List:
celebes rainbowfish, Forktail blue eye, neon blue eye, Delicate blue eye.
medaka, celebes ricefish, Javanese ricefish, Indian ricefish, wolasi ricefish.
White Cloud Mountain minnow (silver, gold, long fin)
EDR
Bloodfin tetra, glass bloodfin tetra, redflank bloodfin tetra
endlers
guppys
platys
wrestling halfbeak
least kilifish ( not actually a kilifish but a very small livebearer)
tiger teddy
silver tip tetra
xray tetra
cherry barb
Limia ( thereā€™s loads, theyā€™re livebearers)
florida flagfish
dwarf panchax
green panchax
dusky millions fish!
dwarf pea puffer (handy if your mam wants to off somebody)
potosi pupfish
diamond killifish

Thats about it so far. Iā€™m going for long finned mountain minnows for my crowd scenes if I can get my hands on any. Possibly neon blue eyes, Medaka, least kilifish, EDR. Though research needs to be done and guppies probably need rehoming.

No Corys Iā€™m afraid.

Id bear in mind that I know nothing btw. Check em all yourself on SF and on here before making any decisions.*

*puts cape away.

Haaaaaang on there just a weee second. Am I right then in thinking Bristlenose are suitable for hard water then? Was thinking of getting one to put in with my guppies?
Seriously Fish says 268ppm but a few here have reassured me they are ok in my water of 307ppm. I think it was @mbsqw1d or @seangee possibly @Ch4rlie but definitely someone somewhere said it :rofl:

Step back everyone ....Iā€™ve got this (Possibly)......fishkeeping heads all over the planet are shaking while sayingā€no no no no noā€.

My water and tank dimensions are virtually identical, see signature.
Ive spent months trawling SF for suitable fish for dh AND tank length. Iā€™ve about 30 in a list. How fighty/compatible/crossbreedy or easy they are to find youā€™d have to ask about on here.

List:
celebes rainbowfish, Forktail blue eye, neon blue eye, Delicate blue eye.
medaka, celebes ricefish, Javanese ricefish, Indian ricefish, wolasi ricefish.
White Cloud Mountain minnow (silver, gold, long fin)
EDR
Bloodfin tetra, glass bloodfin tetra, redflank bloodfin tetra
endlers
guppys
platys
wrestling halfbeak
least kilifish ( not actually a kilifish but a very small livebearer)
tiger teddy
silver tip tetra
xray tetra
cherry barb
Limia ( thereā€™s loads, theyā€™re livebearers)
florida flagfish
dwarf panchax
green panchax
dusky millions fish!
dwarf pea puffer (handy if your mam wants to off somebody)
potosi pupfish
diamond killifish

Thats about it so far. Iā€™m going for long finned mountain minnows for my crowd scenes if I can get my hands on any. Possibly neon blue eyes, Medaka, least kilifish, EDR. Though research needs to be done and guppies probably need rehoming.

No Corys Iā€™m afraid.

Id bear in mind that I know nothing btw. Check em all yourself on SF and on here before making any decisions.*

*puts cape away.
Omg that's amazing!! What's your DH? I can definitely have some Danios & Forktail & Endlers but now I'm gonna check your list. I had been going off shop website supply too but they can order fish in.

Seriously Fish says 268ppm but a few here have reassured me they are ok in my water of 307ppm. I think it was @mbsqw1d or @seangee possibly @Ch4rlie but definitely someone somewhere said it :rofl:
Seangee. He's the expert (well, he has a 15 yr old(?) Pleco at least)

Iā€™ve never had plecos or BN to be honest.

But I think at 20dH or 360mg/l calcium carbonate, this is very hard water.

I would not put BN or pleco into this as itā€™s nearly 100mg/l over the recommended guide on SF :/

But think there are many species of BNā€™s and plecos so perhaps one or two specific species may be ok.

But as I say Iā€™ve never kept them so hopefully someone who has will chime in with their experience.

Omg that's amazing!! What's your DH? I can definitely have some Danios & Forktail & Endlers but now I'm gonna check your list. I had been going off shop website supply too but they can order fish in.
19dh- 340ppm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back