Moving My Tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

clareriley

Fish Addict
Reaction score
How would I move my tank downstairs from upstairs.. its cycling at the moment with 4 goldfish... but the thing is.. I want to move my community tank upstairs.. so its swapping tanks really... not yet though.. I wanna work on my cichlid tank before its fit to be a show takn downstairs.. and I only have room for one tank as I dont think my floor is strong enough for both on my double stand...

If your mean physically moving one tank to replace another..from upstairs to downstairs..uhh

depend on how big your tank is. For larger tanks empty every in a clean bucket without disposing anything and get a big board on the stairs and slide it down carefully?
lol

and if you want to get the big tank upstairs..i would suggest you wait another month or two so you can go to the gym and hit the weights..o btw, six star body fuel protein and creatine works wonders ;)

I can carry the tanks with the help of adam but we have the cichlid upstairs and the commmunity downstairs and we want to swap lol

hiya clare
would it not be easier to just swap the fish ??? saves on the hard work of moving tanks lol

I noticed you have 2 tanks which seem exactly the same, it could be as easy as moving the fish as stated above, if they are exactly the same type of tank then you could also clone the bacteria... For instance i have Juwel Tanks the same size and one was cloned from filter media from the other, i simply switched half the old filter media for the new and vice versa... instant bacteria colonies :)

Iv thought about that but one is planted with gravel substrate and one isnt planted and has sand substrate, one has a different PH due to one being community and one being cichlids.

You're going to have to pretty much completely empty the tanks to move them or you risk cracking the base- I'd not leave anything more than substrate in there, some people probably wouldn't even do that.

Are the tanks going in each other's place or different places? At least if it's the latter you only have to do one tank at a time. Swapping them over at the same time will be a nightmare scenario.

So first stop is to get down to the fish shop and get some bags (they should be free). Then bag 'em up, empty the tank (keep the filter in a bucket of tank water), and get it moved as quickly as possible. You might find a cool box useful for stashing the bagged fish, depending on how many you have. Try to minimise the time your fish are bagged up. Also try to catch them quicky, and keep them in the dark, to minimise stress. I'd species bag any shoaling fish too.

A good collection of buckets is invaluable in this sort of mission, you always appreciate having them available. For a quid each or whatever, you might as well have 4 or 5 on the go.

How are you going to manage the water aspect? Fill up with new water and condition it? And the pH?

Thing with this kind of task is you imagine it'll take a relatively short space of time, but it inevitably ends up taking hours. If you manage the swap of two tanks in less than 3 hours I'll be impressed!

You're going to have to pretty much completely empty the tanks to move them or you risk cracking the base- I'd not leave anything more than substrate in there, some people probably wouldn't even do that.

Are the tanks going in each other's place or different places? At least if it's the latter you only have to do one tank at a time. Swapping them over at the same time will be a nightmare scenario.

So first stop is to get down to the fish shop and get some bags (they should be free). Then bag 'em up, empty the tank (keep the filter in a bucket of tank water), and get it moved as quickly as possible. You might find a cool box useful for stashing the bagged fish, depending on how many you have. Try to minimise the time your fish are bagged up. Also try to catch them quicky, and keep them in the dark, to minimise stress. I'd species bag any shoaling fish too.

A good collection of buckets is invaluable in this sort of mission, you always appreciate having them available. For a quid each or whatever, you might as well have 4 or 5 on the go.

How are you going to manage the water aspect? Fill up with new water and condition it? And the pH?

Thing with this kind of task is you imagine it'll take a relatively short space of time, but it inevitably ends up taking hours. If you manage the swap of two tanks in less than 3 hours I'll be impressed!

We have since changed our mind.. we arnt swapping them until we upgrade at the end of the year, if someone wants to see my Cichlid tank they will have to come in my bedroom :)

Most reactions

trending

Back