Moving House

eltz21

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cardiff
I am moving house and need advice on the best method for transporting my fish and tank. any advise would be great.

I also would like to change the gravel if i need to empty the tank to transport it. any suggestions to what is the best for my tank?

Thanks
 
You must empty the tank of as much water as possible, transfer the fish to big buckets and move it all as quickly as you can. I left the substrate in mine and it was still heavy, i saved most of my water and chucked about 30% as i just did not have the means to carry it all, the fish seemed ok with this water change as it is only a one off. If you are changing the gravel then take this oppertunity to change it to a eco-complete layer with sand on top, plants love it and it looks great, good luck moving it, mine was only a 96ltr and was still abit of a pain.
 
make sure the fish are your priority :) thats advice, right?

if you want to get rid of your subsctrate you could do it before taking fish out.. keeps the fish in their water for a bit longer
 
just dont rush it! the fish will be fine in a bucket or large plastic container with a battery operated pump till u get set up, my last fish spent 9 hours like this, im not saying its in anyway ideal, but if you are rushing thats when mistakes happen :) ( take it from one who knows ;) )
 
When pet stores get fish by mail, they come in insulated boxes. If you find out what day your LFS gets new fish in, they'll probably give you the boxes for free, since they just throw them away. That's what I did, and they're great (I've moved twice since I got my big tank). I just bag the fish (making sure to leave plenty of air in the bags), put them in the boxes, and they're fine for hours. Then there's no rush to move my aquarium.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top