Moving House / Moving Fishtank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rybrows

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking into the future really, currently have a 70litre tank, but would like something around the 200litre mark...

My worry is the likelihood is I won't be in this house in couple years, so worried about moving a new 200l tank, is this easy as can't think of how it could be? I don't want to wait a few years before getting a new tank...

So really my question is, is how hard is it to move a fish tank?!

There are ways. The best way is to set up somewhere else, friends garage for instance, in a spare tank and move stock to there, set up the display in the new place and then retrieve.

Otherwise, it's keeping as much water as possible and keeping the filters cycled and shifting them as quickly as possible.

Would be moving within a mile of where I am now if that would make a difference...

I mean how do people move these big tanks, even with taking say a 50-70% of the water out the tanks are surely still too heavy to move?

When I moved house I kept about half of my tank water by filling big buckets with lids. I got them from a brewers shop.

I left it as late as possible and took my fish out and bagged them up keeping as much oxygen in the bags as possible.

I then removed as much sand and remaining water as possible in a few more buckets.

If you try to move a tank with wet sand or water in it is extremely heavy and you risk smashing the bottom of the tank.

Once I got to the new house I went about setting my tank up as quick as possible getting the water up to temperature and climatising my fish ready for their new home. I left them plenty of cover.

A few days later I then scaped the tank as I wanted.

200l is ok to move especially if you only move down the road. Don't worry just get it :)))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back