Moving Home...

tubthumped

New Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Staffordshire, UK.
Hi all,

I'm getting a new tank this weekend off a friend. It's 30"x12"x15" (90 litres?)

My 1st question is how to best go about the move?
I have 2 heaters, so can get both tanks matching temperature - but have only one filter.

I will be using new substrate but can transfer my old plants over.


2nd question...
Has anyone got a similar sized tank so i can get some ideas about aquascaping it. I'm open to all sorts of ideas, so anything is welcome.

Cheers!
Craig.
 
(if the tank is cycled and currently running) You want to preserve the filter so that when you set the tank up, all that changes would be the water and the substrate, In essence a 100% water change is all you would do, only turning the filter back on when the conditioned water has reached suitable temperature.

For aquascaping check out the photo lounges that accomopany most of the sub-forums as sticky's.
 
So in short;

Put new tank in place, add substrate and decor as desired. Install new heater and get to temp. Once that's stable remove filter from old tank, place in new tank and turn on. Then just move the fish over.

Is it worth using a mix of old water with new?


I've been looking at the pic threads, seen some great setups. Was hoping there would be a few unposted, or of a similar tank size to mine.

Cheers.
 
When I bought my second hand Rio 400, I did exactly what you have described, apart from the filter (bought with tank so was off till tank set-up at my place). The most important things are to dechlorinate the water and raise it to temperature or the beneficial bacteria in your filter will die and mean you will have to cycle the tank from scratch. I couldn't bring any water so used 100% new, no problems. Good Luck!!
 
i have a tank the same size, check out my pic at the bottom and thats what i have done with it,
good look man
 

Most reactions

Back
Top