Moving fish into a new tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Megsy

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I'm not new to keeping fish, but I'm not quite sure where to ask this question and I'm very new to the prospect of moving fish!

Last month i brought a new 200L tank, the tank has cycled, got all the wood, rocks and plants in and has got the go ahead to add fish (yay!). My plan is to take out all my fish from my current tank, clean and rescape it and have the 'smaller' tank as a betta tank with a few corys and tetras. To do this i will have to move some of my current fish into the new tank as they won't be compatible with the betta.

I've had conflicting information from people and the internet, so my questions are:

1) How would i even go about removing all of my fish, in the least stressful way possible?
2) How would i go about re introducing them to the new tank?
3) How long can fish go without being in a proper set up tank?

If this is going to be too stressful/difficult then obviously ill re think my plans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Meg

I am assuming the fish are still in the older tank which is still running, and the new tank is now running (no fish). If this is the case, then first ensure the water parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are basically the same in both tanks, and net over the fish into the new tank.

At this point I will explain something about netting fish. This evokes the strongest stress to fish, as it is the same as the predator escape stressor. So you want to do the absolute least amount of chasing the fish with a net as you can. If all the fish in the existing tank are being moved over, it is much simpler because you can simply herd some of them without worrying about which ones into a large net and then release them into the new tank. This is easy if you use both hands; hold the net still in your right hand (or left, whichever), preferably close to a corner so one side can be flush against the glass. Use your other hand to slowly move behind the group of fish (they will usually quickly huddle together when this begins) and herd or guide them into the stationery net. This can catch a lot of them at one go. Repeat as needed. But the main thing here is that you are guiding or herding them into the net, not chasing them with the net which is much more difficult and stressful. Before you begin this, lower the water level in the older tank by half or whatever, so the fish are closer together to start with; doing this with a full tank can be much less successful.

If the two tanks are separated in different rooms, it might be easier to siphon out some of the existing (older) tank's water (must a liter or two, no more) into a fish-use only pail and when you have a net of fish, place the net in the pail of water but do not allow the fish to get out, that is more stress; you basically want the net sitting in water so the fish are not out of water, that is all. Then carry the pail to the new tank and net the fish into the tank.

Ask if any of this is not clear.

One comment on the Betta for the smaller tank...forget any tetras. Many of these will become fin nippers when confined in a small space with a Betta, or often the Betta becomes very aggressive. I had a Betta that easily ate neon tetra, back int he days before I learned that male Bettas are solitary fish that should never be in with other fish. Sometimes cories can work, sometimes not, so it is best to consider the Betta to be on his own in the smaller tank. So all fish will be moved into the new larger tank.

Also remove any plants and ornaments from the tank where they are now. When I have done this I use a net in each hand, a small one to herd them and a larger one for them to swim into.

Also remove any plants and ornaments from the tank where they are now. When I have done this I use a net in each hand, a small one to herd them and a larger one for them to swim into.

I understand where you're coming from with this suggestion, but I would only do this if you intend tearing down the tank completely, and as a last resort even then. Reason is, it causes more stress.

Removing the fishes' "security" cover will in itself cause serious stress. I have found that by holding the large net near a front corner, and using my hand to herd the fish around from the back, they are much more likely to swim right into the stationery net. Once I've removed the plants and cover, they are in an open space and much less likely to swim into the net. I may remove plants/wood from the front corner I intend using, but usually not beyond that.

Of course, there is always that one last fish that manages to escape all attempts until the very end.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back