Moving an established aquarium

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if it was possible to move my aquarium without having to cycle the tank all over again. I only have 21 days left and I still don't know the best way to do this, please help! :crazy:

PS/ It's only a 10 minute trip from where I currently live. I don't kniw if that's any help :dunno:

Have you thought about getting some large containers with lids to transport the water?
I think though the only thing that you need to transport is the filter medium and substrate, as well as the fish of course. :D

I have just completed a 25g tank move about the same distance with currently no problems. Fingers crossed, no spikes yet. Obvoiusly it is dependant on the size of you tank as to how easy it is but i did the following:

Got fish bags from my lfs and bagged the fish.
I used a number of 5g plastic water containers to transport as much of the water as possible.
Put all the substrate and rocks into buckets and put enough water in to cover them.
My filter is an external canister so i just removed the pipes and left the water in there. If you have an internal filter put it into another bucket again fill with enough water to cover.
Transport to new location and setup, add fish etc.
Daily water tests to watch for spikes.

andym made great suggestions. The only thing I have to add is, it may be easier and less stressful for the fish to get a 20 gallon rubbermaid container fill it half way and transport the fish in that instead of in bags. Also you don't need to save the water, as long as you keep your filter wet and your gravel and decorations wet as well. The water really doesn't make a distance! :D

good luck!

There are lots of posts like yours and i once asked the same question too, do a search in Tropical chit chat and you will find plenty of posts.

Most reactions

Back