Moving A 240l Tank

STE212

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello every1 iam due to move out of my house in the next few weeks and i have come across a small problem............moving my fish tank.
I have a fluval 240L tank with a fluval 305 external filter.
The tank is well stocked, i will only say the expensive ones witch i think may be vunerable with the move, I have 6 red line torpedoes, 4 silver sharks, 3 cloan loaches, 1 xl plec and 2 tinfoil barbs.
Any advise please?
 
I have been pondering this problem as it may crop up for me sometime soon...lol
How I would do it is thus:-
Move all living things (except plants) to a smaller 60/90L tank with appropriate heater and your filter. Empty main tank and move asap, set up in new house, reaching temp asap. Lower water in smaller tank to carryable levels and move smaller tank. Once at new house, catch all life in smaller tank and transfer SLOWLY to new tank (as if they had just come from shop etc), adding filter. With a bit of luck, this should work. A lot of work yes, but should be successful.

I would bet others have other methods (probably better too), so please don't take mine as the only way. See for yourself what is the best way for you once others have offered their ideas.
 
In the good old days, when we still had angle iron framed tanks, I moved about 500km to a new village...... I merely drained my water to about 5" deep, (3m x 2m x 1m high).... got about 6 guys to load it (very heavy) and did not lose a single fish.... ( about 8 hours travelling time).... Dunno if your circumstances can afford this, but it will work if you could.
 
I had one of those old angle iron frame tanks when I had my iguana many years back - built to last!

I'd probably think about:
Fast fish for a couple of days.
Put livestock into separate containers (buckets/plastic trash cans), at least separate by species if not individuals.
Shut off filter, and that should be OK for a few hours.
Put plants into buckets of tank water.
Drain tank - only keep water if your new water supply is going to be much different (ie pH, hardness, etc).
Move everything as quickly (but safely) as possible to new location.
Get tank filled back up - try to temp match if possible, other wise let water warm up.
Filter back on.
Get fish/plants back into their tank.

When fish are shipped they often only have "air" or sometimes an oxygen tablet in there and no filtration and this is typically an overnight journey, so they should be OK for a few hours.
Plan way ahead, in fact over plan, allow extra time for traffic, roadworks, etc

Good Luck
 
I had to move in May last year

350 litre
200 litre
150 litre
88 litre x2
68 litre
28 litre x2

I got foam boxes and fish bags from lfs
All fish were fasted for 2 days prior
I bagged all the fish, put in foam boxes for transport (they stayed in here for 2 days while tanks were being redone)
All tanks were drained, live plants foam boxed
Gravel removed to buckets
All tanks moved
Tanks all set back up at new place (took 2 days)
All fish put back into settled tanks
 

Most reactions

Back
Top