Moss Balls

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Starletta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw Moss Balls at my local store and was wondering - Do the fish nibble on these, especially Algae Eaters?   I've tried giving the Algae eaters some lettuce, small pieces of carrots, and very little is eaten and I have to take it out the next day.

I'd like to get some to change up my fishes diet.... If they aren't for eating, what is the purpose of Moss Balls?   Thank you!

I have not ever had any fish that will eat Moss balls, but Shrimp sure love to clean them all day long.

Remember Moss balls are essentialy balls of algea and they have no real purpose, Shrimp tend to love them tho.

moss balls are used because they contain infusoria ( which are minute creatures that fry can feed on), to keep algae down  (as algae compete for the nutrients) , and for decorative purposes.

Which algae eaters do you have? There are none listed in your signature.

I'm just wondering as you say in your other thread that you have cories which never last long, and it has been suggested on that thread that they may not be getting enough food. If the algae eaters in your tank are in fact these cories, you need to know that cories are not algae eaters they are omnivores and need more than veggies in their diets.

If you do have algae eaters in addition to cories, please ignore all that
laugh.png

Try cucumber my fish usually don't touch them until after a few days. Put a large piece in weigh it down with a screw in the bottom (preferably one that doesn't rust) and leave it there for up to a week if you like.

essjay said:
Which algae eaters do you have? There are none listed in your signature.

I'm just wondering as you say in your other thread that you have cories which never last long, and it has been suggested on that thread that they may not be getting enough food. If the algae eaters in your tank are in fact these cories, you need to know that cories are not algae eaters they are omnivores and need more than veggies in their diets.

If you do have algae eaters in addition to cories, please ignore all that
laugh.png
:)   I have 2 Bristlenose Plecos.     I need to update my signature... 
yes.gif

taffia1 said:
Try cucumber my fish usually don't touch them until after a few days. Put a large piece in weigh it down with a screw in the bottom (preferably one that doesn't rust) and leave it there for up to a week if you like.

If you leave it in for up to a week it will contaminate the water  by rotting and going slimey - nothing should be left in the tank for more than 2 days. Cucumber contains no nutrients for BN plecs - they should be fed courgette instead. Make sure you supply algae wafers and frozen live foods too as they dont only need algea to stay healthy. BN are all different and will like a different range of fresh veg and fruit. Mine are also partial to softened sweet potato, red peppers, & banana, peas -  try out all different veg and fruit to see what yours like.

To make sure bottom feeders get their fair share put your flake food in an egg cup along with a little of the tank water, swish round then dunk in the tank. Instead of it all floating on the surface and the top feeders eating it all before it can sink it will all start to sink immediately giving everyone a fair share.

My gourami love destroying plants, but they've never batted an eye on the marimo I have.

Gilli said:

If you leave it in for up to a week it will contaminate the water  by rotting and going slimey - nothing should be left in the tank for more than 2 days. Cucumber contains no nutrients for BN plecs - they should be fed courgette instead. Make sure you supply algae wafers and frozen live foods too as they dont only need algea to stay healthy. BN are all different and will like a different range of fresh veg and fruit. Mine are also partial to softened sweet potato, red peppers, & banana, peas -  try out all different veg and fruit to see what yours like.

To make sure bottom feeders get their fair share put your flake food in an egg cup along with a little of the tank water, swish round then dunk in the tank. Instead of it all floating on the surface and the top feeders eating it all before it can sink it will all start to sink immediately giving everyone a fair share.
Are you sure?  Contaminate the water with what, more water?  I've had no problems and no changes to any of my water stats by doing this.  In saying that I do have good filtration

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back