more eggs...

samthefishman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I moved my gudgeons into another 4 ft tank and now they spawned again...
why do my fish constantly breed??

As i said in your last thread you should not have put the pair back together for at least 3 weeks to give the female time to recover, once they start Morgurnda species will continually spawn if males and females are kept together. In the wild the temperature in their habbitat drops significantly in the winter and rises in the summer, but in a tropical fish tank where the temperature is constant it is like summer all year round, which is breeding season. For the good of your fish you must either seperate them or keep the temperature below 21c, but do not drop the temperature if other tropical fish are present.

It can be food yes but you still need to give the female time to rest in between spawnings, if not the male will run her into the ground until she dies. Morgurnda females dont know how to say no and even if they did the males wouldnt listen.

sounds like a hard life. Typical Aussies :lol:
I didnt mean that.

So having a male and female Gudgeon is a bad idea... i wish i knew that.
So i cant have them together in my community tank

Knowing wouldnt have helped, sexing Morgurnda species before they are sexually mature is near impossible. You could try adding some more gudgeons to the tank which may take the heat off of the female but you still have the problem that the male will be very aggressive in the protection of his spawn and will chase away and attack any fish that come near.

Most reactions

Back