More breeding puntering

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gypsum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Found cory eggs in the 240L tank last week. They could be CW045, C. bethanae, or C. schulzei. To be honest, I don't really want more schulzei , but it would be pretty damned cool if it was one of the other two (it probably isn't). When our A. spilotus spawned in the 125L, I put the eggs in a breeder net, accompanied by an Indian almond leaf, and I now have over forty fry in a grow-out tank. I tried the same method with the eggs in the 240. Unfortunately, all but one of the eggs got fungus. The only substantial difference between the two tanks is that the 125 has three powerheads and the 240 has one. I'm guessing that the high current prevented fungus?

The lonely fry in the breeder net looked stressed and scared. It couldn't go into the main tank because I have raphael catfish in there. But I was worried it wouldn't survive long on its own in the net. So, I shifted it to the grow-out tank with the baby Aspidoras . Did it survive the move? Who knows until it matures enough to not look like a generic cory fry. If it's a bethanae or CW045, I'll write up the most puntery breeding report PlanetCatfish has ever seen.

Last year, the schulzei spawned and I removed the eggs to a small 29L grow-out tank and added methylene blue. Needless to say, you can't do that when they're in a net hanging off the side of the main tank. No fungus and most hatched, but despite my best efforts and daily water changes, only two fry survived (they are now living with their parents in the big tank). I changed tactics. Set up a planted 55L with Heterandria formosa and snails as a permanent, established tank. Cory fry can be thrown in there as and when. So far, it's working for the Aspidoras, although the three least killifish looked very unimpressed when their spacious accomodation got an infestation.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back