more about Green Terrors

i love cichlids

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just wondering would any one have info, pics, just general stuff about these fish and what others could go with them.
:D :D

ive kept red devils, convicts, and jacks with them successfully.
fish ive had problems with : texas, firemouth, jewel
im not saying that any of this will work because i have seen a lot of mixed opinions about this fish, but hope that helps a little. make sure you have plenty of territories, mine thinks the whole tank is its, but the rest of the fish have some territory staked out and as long as they can fend for themselves they should be fine.

Green Terrors are aggressive Cichlids and should not be kept with fish that can't fend for themselves. The body is green and each scale has a black dot on it. The fins are tipped with orange and the mouth is small but powerful.

These are fast, darty fish that can catch and eat smaller fish with ease. It is a large and preditory fish, but, like most other Cichlids, can be kept together with other fish in a large aquarium. The aquarium should have rocks for this fish to hide behind.

The female Green Terror is darker than the male, with less contrast between colors while the males are larger and with age, generally develop a hump on thier head. They have been bred in aquariums and are good , open-breeder parents. The female lays as many as 300 eggs on carefully cleaned rocks. The eggs are then protected and fanned by the parents fins to keep water circulating.

The Green Terror used to be known as Aequidens pulcher which is incorrect. That is the name of the Blue Acara, and the Green Terror has since been recognized as a seperate species. When kept in the same tank, these fish can become very intolerant of each other. The males grow larger than females. If kept by itself, pampered on a varied menu and given abundant water changes, the Green Terror can grow into a powerful yet graceful adult.

Green Terrors will eat all manner of foods, especially earthworms, beefheart, food pellets, bloodworms, and goldfish. Do not feed the same food continuously, as this can lead to an 'addiction' to one food and digestive disorders.

gterror2.jpg

I have 1 Male Green Terror, and HAD 1 female Green Terror, she spawned twice, bless her, and looked after her babys really well, but unfortunatley all the babys died, as soon as they all died the male was after her like a hawk, she eventually died because the male attacked her to death, she must of been so weak and exshausted after looking and guarding the babys, it was awful so heartbreaking, she had plenty of rocks and hiding places, but the male would shoow her out and torment her all the time, i moved her into a seperate tank, but she died a few hours later, poor little thing. He is a monster hes getting bigger and bigger, i think he is going to out grow my tank soon.
Would i t be best to take him back to the shop?

i think he is going to out grow my tank soon.
Would i t be best to take him back to the shop?

sorry to hear about the female gt :( i just got rid of my gt coz of agression and he was in a 90g.if you think he'll outgrow your tank and you do not plan to upgrade then i'd say yeah sell or give him back to an lfs.

I've gotten rid of other fish because of my green terrors agression, he has only killed one fish before i could get the fishes out and put them in another tank. Mine, didn't use to be that aggressive. But after about a year he really got nasty. Nothing really lives happily with him except my pleco and red devil ( which is getting quite big and i think the gt is eventually going to torture it and im going to have to get rid of it). I'm well aware that i may end up with just one fish in my tank after its all said and done, but im ok with that. If you want to get other fish in your tank i would suggest that you just give the gt to a lfs, its going to be hard to add anything to the tank. How big of a tank do you have?? you could keep the gt by its self and maybe some types of bottom feeders ( e.g. i have a channel cat and a pleco which dont get much terrorizing from the terror, although they both are a little larger than him ) probably in a 55 gallon tank i would presume, they dont usually get that big. Usually no more than nine inches.

Im getting a 50gal (4ft) tank, heater, stand, air pump and all . I was thinking of having cichlids such as the following please say if the tank isnt big enough or these fish wont get along.
convicts,green terrors, firemouths or i might have a Lake Mlawi tank instead.
:D thanks heaps

IMO, firemouths would not work well at all with green terrors. Convicts would work with green terrors, as they are generally too small and fast for the terror to mess with. I dont know about convicts with firemouths i haven't ever had both at the same time, but i would say it could be possible. Firemouths are pretty passive compared to other american cichlids, but some species that could work with firemouths are rainbows and jewels, i had the three together and they were pretty good together. hope i helped.
tim

A friend just gave me a small green terror. He is about two inches long. I have been keeping him with my convicts and albino channel cat and pleco. This is the first time I have ever kept one, so far he has gotten along ok with the cons. There are plenty of caves and other hiding spots for them. I'm hoping to be able to grow him pretty big and put him with my red devil. I haven't had any luck putting anything with the devil. I am hoping this is the one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back