Mopani Wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StiX

Fish Herder
Reaction score
How long does this normally need to be soaked for to get rid of the tannins? I've had it in a bucket for nearly 2 weeks, and been changing the water everyday and replaceing with hot water, but the water is still turning brown :grr: :(

sheesh stix! mine never leaked! crumbs! cant be much more left in there :/

Don't know about mopani, but I use african root in some of my tanks and I still have tannins leach out.

The wood is some 2 years old. Some woods just will continue to release tannins no matter what. You may want to try boiling it. This may help to bring out a lot of the tannins.

I don't use this type of wood in my african tanks though.

CM

I havent actually boiled it, but i filled the bucket with boiling water and let it soak, that was the first day lol and its still pouring out :|

Stix...

When i had a similar problem i just boiled it for a few hours then left it to soak for a week.. (just kept changing the water)..

Course, this is only any good if you can fit the wood in a saucepan.......

catman said:
Course, this is only any good if you can fit the wood in a saucepan.......
ummmm....got a couldran handy ? :devil: :crazy: :lol: :wizard: :wizard:

Why get rid of all the tannins stix? My guys love the stuff...... just filter the water with carbon, that'll reduce it if you need to. With a planted tank you'll be doing a lot of regular water changes anyway won't you? ( to stabalise the kH)... :thumbs:

ur not supposed to use carbon on a planted tank :rolleyes:

carbon on a planted tank, i always have done, what question and answer sheet did i miss!

what filter option is best then! ( external)

Its believed by some that carbon can remove many of the minerals that plants require..

Personnally, i use carbon for a 48 hr period in then remove it for 2 weeks.. then add it again...
Works well for me an my plants... :D

I think you should let the force guide you on this one young Jedi. :blink:

May the force be with you. -_-

:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back