Moonlight!!

Scougie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I fancy having a moonlight effect in my tank after the main lights go out.. Does this make sense to anyone? Problem is I haven't got a clue how to go about it any suggestions? Obviously it will involve some blue lights but I dont have anywhere obvious to add them to my hood.

I did the search can't find a 'how to' by you or much reference to moonlight although someone did mention LEDs how would that work then?

I've found em!! They sell Moonlight LED's on EBAY!! Good old Ebay eh? Now then when they arrive and I set them up will they piss off the nocturnal fish or not?

That's great thanks. I got some LED's off Ebay for a tenner think they should do the job nicely!

A tenner?! Damn, mine were £15 on ebay. I really like them tho - they provide 6 individual blue rays of light rather than an overall glow, but I positioned them strung out in a line, I guess you could put them in a little group. They also came with a power adjuster thingy (technical!) so you can dim them to suit your tank/fish. My nocturnal fish don't seem to mind them at all, and my daytime fish love them, and go for little evening strolls before going to bed!! I've also asked the guy to see if he can make me some green ones, I figure with a planted tank a faint green glow should be cool, and I don't think the fishies'll mind.

Sarah :D

If you use blue or UV LEDs the fish won't be bothered in the least, as these colors closely match the wavelength of natural moonlight. Very few fish are in total darkness at any time, so having moonlight won't matter. And it looks really cool!

\Dan

FishDan said:
Very few fish are in total darkness at any time, so having moonlight won't matter. And it looks really cool!
Hi.
I agree on this.
Furthermore, the moonlight can help some fish defending their brood at night.

There was discussion of LED moonlights in this thread. If you know the characteristics of your LED's and can't work out the resistor values yourself, post again and we'll do it for you.

Most reactions

Back