Moonlight effects using LEDs

Thanks for the DIY site, I'm looking around right now.
How much do 12v adaptors usually run for?

..the plans at the above website uses a 5 volt adapter, ie, if you have any leftover adaptors to things like cell phones, toys, rechargers, etc.....you can use it. It shows you how to cut off the end and connect it to the LEDS. Mine will also have a potentiometer....dimmer. All the components can be purchased at ebay or Radio Shack etc. SH

Nice. How convinient, I have a cell phone charger that I don't use. :)

...so..ya figure you already got the power supply.....Let's say 8 LEDS at $4.00; 8 resistors at $2.00...all you need is a soldering iron, duct tape and a piece of wood or plexiglass to mount it on.....$6.00. WTG..you just saved yourself about $25-30. SH

Make sure you have the right resistors. Just use the website I posted last time to determine the resistance required. You should also ensure that the DC adaptor you have can deliver the total current based on how many LEDs you have decided to hookup. Because my canopy is made of plastic, I simply use electrical tape to tape the LEDs. Also consider liquid electrical tape (Wal-Mart or hardware store) to seal any exposed metal surface from moisture.

Nikki

I've got some 18 gauge hook-up wire from Radio Shack that I use as speaker wires. Will that be alright?

Discomafia said:
I've got some 18 gauge hook-up wire from Radio Shack that I use as speaker wires. Will that be alright?
Yes, that is ok.

Nikki

The 4000MCD LEDS that I bought are recommended to be used with 56 ohm 1/4 watt resistors, however, 120 ohm didn't seem to make a difference in lighting according to one comment and may make the LED's last longer. FYI. SH

The size of resistor chosen is depended on the power source. When you use a bigger resistor, the voltage drop across the LED will be lower. This will affect the intensity somwhat. I used a laboratory-grade DC supply for my moonlight. When I adjust the voltage from 12 V down (this lower the voltage across the LED and is similar to increasing the resistor value), When I lowered the voltage to 9V, the intensity changed was barely noticeable by my eyes. For lower voltage, the LED becoming dimmer and ceased to output visible light around 2.6V. Moreover, I noticed that the light have a slightly different color if the voltage isn't optimal.

Nikki

Hi..this system is based on a 5v power source and not made to be super bright. With 8 LEDs, 4 inch spacing and 56 ohm 1/4 watt resistor...great effect. SH

Most reactions

Back