Moment Of Truth. Overstocked Or Not?

Zekumi

New Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Finally worked up the courage to ask you guys your thoughts.

I've got a 110 liter/29 gallon fully established aquarium.

My guys are:
1 Keyhole Cichlid
1 Blue Ram
1 Firemouth Cichlid

4 Rummy Nose Tetra
5 Molly (4 Balloon/1 Sailfin)
2 Swordtail

Everything seems to be going great, and I haven't had any prevalent problems so far.
I think the only remaining question I've got is if I'm overstocked or just right? :P

I'd love to squeeze afew Otto Cats by, but I'm really thinking that'd be pushing it much too far. x__x
 
I would personally say your pushing it a bit but I wouldn't say its horrible over stocked. But someone who has a better idea will be along soon I am sure. I would advise against the oto's personally though.
 
I pretty much agree with you, Mwood2.
And yeaaah. I'll save the Oto's for my 10 gallon.

Sorry to say, I actually don't know what kind of filtration I'm working ...?
When I bought it, I was a total aquarium-amateur (and I didn't keep the box).

All I can say is that it's a waterfall type filter that takes a 'replaceable' pad.

I do really good/big water changes, though. I'm definitely not a slacker when it comes to that. I like my aquarium to look clean.
 
Secondhand. I got it from another teenage girl at school. She and her dad were tired of maintaining it (plus, their only surviving fish was one lone Serpae Tetra and one giant pleco). :P
They weren't bad owners, but they basically knew next to zip about fish in general.

... Like, they'd bought a breeder box and an air stone for it, but they had absolutely no idea about heaters/that they should've had a heater.

But anywho.
 
Well I would maybe suggest an extra filter to run along side your current one perhaps? Fluval makes great internal filters that you could use. There around 30 bucks for a +2 (which I use). You could also pehaps try to buy a new filter that a high GPH (gallons per hour) and move all your previous media to that. I would suggest a Aqua Clear 50. Has large area for media meaning it till take your current media and probably then some.

If you have the money, a canister filter would be ideal as well. Eheim makes great ones that arnt to pricy (well compared to high end ones anyways). You can find a Ehiem Classic for around 80 bucks. Once I get the extra money and pay off some stuff I plan to buy one myself.
 
^
Oooo, I really appreciate those recommendations. In my own perfect world, I ~would~ already have an over-zealous/extremely adequate filter, but unfortunately, everything I've managed to get so far is the product of my being a seventeen-year-old without her first (part time) job/absolutely no money apart from what my parents give me.
That's all going to be up for change in afew months, though, when I graduate. :3

I'll be able to nab my first job over the summer, and once I do that, I'm hoping I'll be able to not only upgrade to a better filter, but probably even a slightly bigger aquarium.

My boyfriend is pushing me to get a 50 gallon, but truth be told, I am not a big girl and 50 gallons is just too much for me at the moment.
I haven't looked at my LFS stock thoroughly yet, but I'm hoping for something around the 45-ish range or a bit smaller.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top