molly fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emilyp123

Reaction score
my molly fish has a weird black thing in her belly... one of my fish gave birth a few days ago but we wasn’t sure which fish? could this be the mum or is this another pregnant fish? thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 4CF68777-97FB-4C2D-9458-8E06A6A3B5AA.png
    4CF68777-97FB-4C2D-9458-8E06A6A3B5AA.png
    382.5 KB · Views: 85
Its just a gravid spot. It tells us that she is a female or if she's pregnant. Common with livebearers.

thank you, i’m confused tho is she pregnant or already given birth can you tell?

thank you, i’m confused tho is she pregnant or already given birth can you tell?
The fry you´ve seen are they mollies as well? If so, she could be the mother or one of the other females (if there's 1 or more other fermale mollies present).

The fry you´ve seen are they mollies as well? If so, she could be the mother or one of the other females (if there's 1 or more other fermale mollies present).
yes they’re mollies, i had 3 females in my tank but one died 2 days ago, the day after the fry where born. just spotted this gravid spot today so not sure if she’s the one that’s had the babies or if she is also pregnant.

yes they’re mollies, i had 3 females in my tank but one died 2 days ago, the day after the fry where born. just spotted this gravid spot today so not sure if she’s the one that’s had the babies or if she is also pregnant.
Even if you see a gravid spot, doesn´t mean that she´s pregnant right away. Once a gravid spot shows up, it will never disappear.Only the size of the gravid spot will change (bigger) when she´s pregnant.
But it could also be fry of the one which has died.

Mollies go though a lot of stress giving birth and it is not unusual for them to die now and then. I lost several back when I use to breed black mollies. Sorry about your fish. I just had a newly bought platy give birth to 12 fry the morning after I bought her and a male. I have 8 fry in a fry net but the other 4 are swimming around and so far the adults (Martha and George) have left them alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back