Molly Color Variety Id

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kittycat

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, I got my first (and only molly). Despite my worries about aggression and brackish needs, I couldn't resist, she seemed so cute and unique, I've never seen her color before and she was the only one like that in the tank. My digital cam has no juice, so I don't have a pic, but her fins are all orange, her body is light brown with a white belly. Regular dorsal (not sailfin). I thought at first she was a balloon, but the day after I brought her home, she gave birth to about 8-10 babies, so now I think she just has a slightly big tummy. I'm amazed they didn't get eaten, she was quarantined with an Australian Rainbow fish. Her babies don't seem to look like her, they are different from one another too--some orange, others black-specked, and some transparent like guppy fries. I guess their dad was different. Does anyone know what kind of a molly she is? I'd like to get her some friends, and it would be nice to have an idea on what to look for, as I prefer the same variety as she is.

Ps. Will she be aggressive towards small fishes like guppies and tetras?

No she won't be aggresive, there very calm fish and friendly. i think she is just your regular molly. they come in all colours due to inter breeding, my faves are white mollys, i had three to start with now i've got about 20, there very sweet. Good choice in fish by the way.

I would like a pic to guess what type she is, and for friends for her, just get some that you feel are cool fish or match her well. I would definately reccommend brackish water for all mollies, as anna says, a molly in freshwater is like a human living in a closet its entire life :D :lol:

I'm sorry for the late reply, my camera batt charger died and I was able to get some juice only now. Her color changed a little when she got settled in my tank, maybe she was just stressed in the LFS. Now she has less brownish tint, deeper orange colors. Anyway, here she is:

This was the face that won me over...
PICT5254.jpg

PICT5240.jpg

PICT5236-1.jpg

PICT5261.jpg

Yep, she is in a brackish environment now, sort of, about 1 tsp/5 gal rock salt.

Thanks. She seems balloonish, but her stomach is not as pronounced as other baloons I've seen in the LFS. I'm thinking she's probably a mix of sorts. She has a few fry, hopefully they'll be as cute as she is.:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back