Mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So this morning I 'just' went for a look round a fish shop.. but I saw some mollies that caught my eye lyre tail mollies but they had fancy pelvic fins some had really long pelvic fins almost 5 times as long as this male has almost betta style I'm not any fish expert by all means but I couldn't help but buy a pair to go with my others can anyone tell me more about what's been breed to achieve the fins like this?
20220716_161119.jpg

they could live with "regular" mollies, as the only difference is the tail
the lyretail is just a gene that will come in future generations, but i'd get a male and a few females.

What is with the pelvic fins though they almost looked ornamental on some of the other mollies in the shop I didn't choose the ones with the longer pelvic fins incase my other mollies and platys started to fin nip them

What is with the pelvic fins though they almost looked ornamental on some of the other mollies in the shop I didn't choose the ones with the longer pelvic fins incase my other mollies and platys started to fin nip them

I would guess that the gene that gives the lyretail also extends all the other fins to a degree, but that is purely a guess based on typical genetics. The one who would really know more is @emeraldking , so tagging him :D

Beautiful mollies though! I'm jealous :p

Morphological change in finnage is caused by an overactivity of the MSX genes that a fish has. Crossing two specimens with elongated finnage will result in a majority of offspring that will have elongated finnage as well. So, a small percentage will have normal finnage. Crossing a specimen with normal finnage to a lyretail molly will result in partially lyretail offspring and the rest will be of normal finnage.

Some of the other mollies fins were so long I was like shocked.. looked so cool when the fish were swimming around in the water never even seen a pic of a mollie with long fins I just know I had to get a pair to go with my others 😝😜

It's just inbreeding and line breeding. A fish shows a slightly longer fin so they breed that fish with its siblings and get more with long fins. They breed them together to make the mutation more pronounced.

The fish in the picture are Dalmation lyretail mollies. The Dalmation is the colour, like a Dalmation dog. The lyretail is the shape of the tail. Molly being the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back