Modifying Tank Stand

Stringy30

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking at purhasing a new 6x2x2ft fish tank after recently moving home and cracking my old one. The problem I have is today I measured the new tank and the length of it was 183cm, so I went home and measured the actual tank stand and it seems as though I would only have room for a tank which is 182cm but I don't want to buy a new tank stand as well so what are my options?

Thanks,
Stringy

This is a picture of the base

Attachments

• tank stand 2.jpg
    tank stand 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 95
It's difficult to tell from your picture, but it looks like your base has a trim that is supposed to border the bottom part of your tank. If this can be easily removed then you can solve your problem by simply placing a sheet of appropriately sized plywood on top of your tank.

Its the bottom of the tank that has the issue and fitting into that base with the trim, not only that but the stand has been professionaly made so that trim is on there pretty solid.

If I use the tape measure and measure from the top of that trim and not between the base and the trim I can get 183cm out of it.

The stand was made for a tank which measured 181cm in length, which was my old tank so yeah... not a true 6 footer

Two solutions come to mind. The first is you can saw off the trim and then place a sheet of plywood on top of the base. Alternatively, you could "fill" the space inside the trim with a sturdy material (e.g. MDF or lumber) so that it forms a flat even surface, then cover it with plywood.

Sorry if it seems I'm obsessed with plywood - I'm currently building a DIY stand so plywood is all that's on my mind lately!

malfunction said:
Two solutions come to mind. The first is you can saw off the trim and then place a sheet of plywood on top of the base. Alternatively, you could "fill" the space inside the trim with a sturdy material (e.g. MDF or lumber) so that it forms a flat even surface, then cover it with plywood.
Sorry if it seems I'm obsessed with plywood - I'm currently building a DIY stand so plywood is all that's on my mind lately!

This seems like a good cheap and sturdy idea I would use his one. Just don't forget to put a thin layer of foam or polystyrene down before the tank goes on so that you don't make pressure points and crack the tank

Most reactions

Back