Missing Guppy?

tomtomtom1230

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I rehomed all my fish into a larger tank (see link in my sig). I acclimated them all the fresh tank water of the course of an hour or so.

Old tank water (unplanted):
amonnia 0
nitrite 0
nirtate about 20
pH ~7

New tank water (planted)
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates about 5-10ppm (can't be sure, the colour is somewhere in between).
pH ~6.5 (due to the substrate lowering it a little)

I cannot find this guppy anywhere. I suspect he may have died due to the stress that moving subjected him to, although he was fine yesterday. No unusual behavior or anything. I checked behind the tank, on the lip of the tank just above the water level, around all the rocks, the wood and plants but I cannot find the fish, nor can I find his body. H'e definitely not small enough to go up through the inlet pipe, at least I wouldn't have thought so...?

Is it plausible that he died in the night and the other fish ate his body? I know the cories are scavangers and wouldn't say no to anything but I don't see danios or neons eating a guppy? He was only small and I saved him (and a tank mate) from the bleach bucket of a LFS that was closing down. Both the fish had Ich and fin rot when I got them and it cleared up within a matter of days in a crudely made hospital tank. It'll be sad to know he's really gone but at least he didn't die ridden with diseases or by inhaling bleach. :/

OP
tomtomtom1230

tomtomtom1230

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Sounds horrible when you put it like that :crazy: But yeah, thanks. I had my suspicions... Such a shame... I did everything by the book when moving my fish yesterday and tried to get it over and done with (all bar the acclimation) pretty quickly.:/

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator
Reaction score
guppys are notoriously fragile little things.....could've been many reasons why it gave up the ghost like that.

OP
tomtomtom1230

tomtomtom1230

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Too true! A shame but I suppose if it wasn't down to me then there's not much I could've done.:unsure:

Thanks for a speedy reply, though. :good: Didn't feel as though it was worth of 'Fish Emergency' status :p

Most reactions