Mislabeled Container Blamed For Aquarium Fish Kill

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Very sad for the fish, and I am sure the aquarium staff seeing some prized and loved fish dead. I would hope is was down to a mislabeled container, but at the same time would have to wonder how many other mislabeled containers this company has shipped out to unsuspecting buyers. I could only liken to Roundup, accidentially being labeled fertilizer and being sent to a Botanic Gardens and the havoc that would cause.

Baccus said:
I could only liken to Roundup, accidentially being labeled fertilizer and being sent to a Botanic Gardens and the havoc that would cause.
My thoughts exactly.  [SIZE=small]I wonder if a lawsuit will follow....[/SIZE]

I would imagine there would have to be some sort of insurance payout, if not for the lose of stock, but the lose of revenue due to having to close and strip tanks and then purchase new stocks to rebuild the displays.

The tanks are currently being drained and they are hoping it will also help to show the amount of time and work involved in setting up and maintaining these tanks. Donated fish are already arriving and they could have new fish being added as early s this week if all goes well.

Updated Press Release from TSA (linked below) stated:

"...chemists at Summit Environmental Technical which indicated that the drug was in fact not Trichlorfon, but instead an isomer of hydroquinone resorcinol."

https://texasstateaquarium.org/newsreleases/aquarium-releases-preliminary-test-results-from-investigation/

https://texasstateaquarium.org/support-us/recovery-fund/

I thought a lot of people probably would donate fish, but some species just wont be available except through other Aquariums or professional breeders.
The huge costs will come from having to replace possible contaminated decore like porus rocks/ corals/ timbers, and the componants needed to re-establish gH and pH of different waters for various displays.

I have to wonder now, where are they draining the water too? Even a sewerage works is not going to be set up to really remove entirely the wrong sort of chemical put down pipes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back