Miracle Gro Is It Safe For My Fish?

Roseanna

Reaction score
Evenin everyone :)

I was wondering if "miracle gro organic choice all purposes plant food" would be safe to mix with the Tesco cat litter I was going use under my sand? My granny has loads of it and its just going to wast so more than enough for my 4ft tank ^^

Thanks
Rose

i dont think so.. ..never heard of anyone using it.. but add the ingredients and repost in the plant section.. oh and for goodness sake dont add it untill you have a fair bit f advice :lol:

might be perfectly ok.. we'll see :)

i use it in under my gravel and i no 100's of people do use it including dustin from fishtanktv.com like i said 100s if not 1000s of people use it but it has to be the organic stuff and not standard miracle grow

It has no affect on fish. I have been using it for close to a year now and within 2 months of adding it I got more plant growth than I has in the past 3 years. Plants adore soil absolutely and unequivocally adore it so If you're planning on adding plants then soil particularly organic soil is the way to go. One huge benefit of soil is that you will never need to add another fert, ever. Well, for another 10 years as that's when the soil will need to be replaced. You'll need 1.5" of soil and then cap it with an inert gravel of your choice.

If you go the soil route I wouldn't use sand it tends to mix with the soil after a while. I also wouldn't use cat liter as it's rich in iron...

Here's a vid I made of the *dirting* process

i use it in under my gravel and i no 100's of people do use it including dustin from fishtanktv.com like i said 100s if not 1000s of people use it but it has to be the organic stuff and not standard miracle grow

NO NO NO - I believe that Dustin uses Miracle Grow Organic POTTING SOIL, not FERTILIZER / PLANT FOOD. "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Only use ferts intended for fish tanks if you have fish.

NO NO NO - I believe that Dustin uses Miracle Grow Organic POTTING SOIL, not FERTILIZER / PLANT FOOD. "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Only use ferts intended for fish tanks if you have fish.

yeah thats what i meant??? i would never use any over stuff, i use the soil which is what i meant

Kitty litter, the kind made from clay anyway is safe, but not a good substrate I've heard. If you're going dirt, use an organic top soil or mineralized top soil (Miracle Grow ORGANIC potting soil works) covered with sand or fine gravel.

Wow thanks for all the fast replys everyone! That video was really helpful :) see its isn't soil I don't think its granules? It does say on the bag its children and pet safe! I also found some John innes no.2 and no.3 compost is that safe to use? :)

I wouldn't.
It's derived from chicken poo so you'll be introducing all kinds of unwanted organics just to get the NPK out of it. Not least the presence of ammonia so it probably isn't worth risking.
Some derive their organic nutes from molasses too and I wouldn't recommend putting that in a tank unless it's for hydroponics....

IMO

That's not to say you can't use stuff like this in certain situations. But leave it to those that live on the edge lol

Okay I think I'll give it a miss than! I don't want anything to happen to my fishies, some of them I've had for years and would be heart broken if anything happen to them >< lol. Thanks again everyone :)

Most reactions

Back