Mini Puffers and goldfish?

blue frog is right if you take the 1" per gallon rule here in the uk we have closer to 2" per gallon rule and goldish have a different rule all to them self to the waste issue is different for cold water im not shure but i think acording to some of the peopls ive been reading on this forum they think the coldwater fish need way more room. ive kept goldfish in small tanks and witnessed quite a few discussions on this subject so know there is some deal of contension on this issue i would say in compromise that once the goldfish has been alive for say 3 years that you move him to a 5 gallon tank and once its 10 move to a ten gallon and once its 30 years old move to a 15 gallon. and then be ready to move to the toilet bowl as they only live 30 years but you will prolly have forgot what i wrote in 30 years.

Goldfish might be small at first, but commons or comets get to be 12" long usually, and pretty quick! I know people whose goldfish have grown to 4" in a few months! Also, because of the shape and size of a goldfish's digestive system, they produce a lot of ammonia. That can be really bad for other fish and for themselves. I firmly believe in the 10 gallons per goldfish rule, sometimes more like 20 for commons or in a pond. And don't listen to people who say "well I kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for 4 years!" because goldfish SHOULD live 20 years or more, like Jamnog said. Your fish probably wont be as healthy as they could in a 10 gallon, but with frequent partial water changes and making sure your parameters are good and your cycle doesn't crash, it's better than some people keep their goldfish.

Glad to hear all your fish are doing well! :)

Most reactions

Back